Question about out of state private sale

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jabba_the_sloot

New to the site!
Reaction score
Hi all - thanks in advance for any input. I know OK has pretty friendly gun laws, but wanted to know what the rules are about a private sale from someone out of state?

I have a potential buyer for a firearm of mine, however he is not from OK. I have done private sale in the past and am familiar with the laws for in state private sales, but don't know what is really required for an out of state sale. Any input is greatly appreciated!

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If the buyer and seller are residents of different states, Oklahoma law doesn't enter into it--that's governed by Federal law, which basically says that transfer has to go through an FFL holder in the buyer's state of residence.

The chances are that you wouldn't get caught if you skip the FFL, but the penalties can be pretty steep if you do. As a friend of mine once said, that $100,000 fine doesn't bother me all that much, but that 10 years in prison sure does.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hes local - going to college here.
My understanding is if he is not a state resident, you have to go through an FFL. You could check with probably any local gun store, but I'm pretty sure they'll tell you to ship it to an FFL in whatever state he is established as a resident. Where he is at the moment won't make any difference. I know people who move to Oklahoma but don't bother to get an OK DL or license plates for a while... they may be living here, but they are not state residents until they establish residency.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
they may be living here, but they are not state residents until they establish residency.

This. If he is not an Oklahoma resident he can't even buy here FROM an FFL here, I don't believe. Has to go to an FFL in HIS state of residence.

Don't risk it.

MilitantBEEMER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
He may be able to by a rifle or shotgun here, but ONLY through an FFL.
Now if he has residence here that is totally different (own or rents his place, has a valid OK drivers license etc)

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Whoa, I started to comment the rules. Then I noticed you didn't specify what type of firearm.
The rules differ between a handgun or a rifle/shotgun.
If it's a handgun he has to go back home and receive it thru a ffl dealer
If it's a rifle or shotgun you can transfer it to a ffl dealer here and then he can go in and fill out the 4473 and receive it.
No transfers between private individuals who are NOT residents of the same state are allowed. Federal law not state law.

Latest posts

Top Bottom