question about primers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You guys need to think outside the box here quit destroying things.

You can use them for shooting pistol with a wax slug or plastic bullets.
No powder needed. Just a primed case.
A 38 or 357 case will hold a crayon very nicely and break the crayon off flush and shoot it out of the pistol with primer only.

Too much fun.
I have made bullets in my bullet mold from hot glue and shot those with primer only.

If you find a primed case will go off in your weapon I see no reason not to use them.

I would bet those primers were left on the bench or collected from rounds he took apart and did not know what primer they were.
The accuracy nuts we are mixing primers is a no no on a great shooting load.

So take the unknown ones and stick them all together in a jar.
I bet that is what he did.
I have a container of mixed primers.
I use them for crayola loads .

Kids and adults love it.
Shoot them in the garage into a cardboard box .. drape a couple rags over the opening and shoot the rags.
It will dent a new car.

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Test some for "bang"!

Look at the primer compound color!

Maybe sort them by size then color.

Is some nickle plated? Some yellow?

If I remember right, large rifle is taller than large pistol!

Are you gonna ever be positive of what they are, probably not!

Could you use them, I think so!

Last edited:

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
I have been going through my deceased father's reloading stuff and found a medicine bottle with about 1000 primers in it. They were both small and Large, of which I was able to sort out. I have a caliper and measured small pistol and rifle and large pistol and rifle from my own stock.
My question: Is there any way of knowing if the primers are rifle or pistol primers since they measure the same? Does it make a difference? Sure hate to waste 1000 primers.
Thanks.
SRP and SPP should be the same dimensions. LRP and LPP have the same diameter, but the LPP cup is more shallow. Lpp will seat deep in a LRP pocket (may not ignite) and a LRP will sit very proud in a LPP pocket and won't chamber or headspace properly.

I have some 9mm I got from a 3G buddy that is SRP. That's all he uses so he's not chasing primers.

I'll take them if you don't want them.

Marsport

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
thanks everybody for your input. I think that I may try the primer only and crayon or plastic or earplugs and see what happens with a few of them. I do not believe that I will load up live ammo with them. I appreciate all the input.

Latest posts

Top Bottom