question about primers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
thanks everybody for your input. I think that I may try the primer only and crayon or plastic or earplugs and see what happens with a few of them. I do not believe that I will load up live ammo with them. I appreciate all the input.
If you have a .45, 40 or something that a crayon won't work with, get some canning wax from the grocery store that is 1/2" thick, let it soften, and push the case mouth into the wax, twist and you have a bullet. Great indoor or basement practice.
If you have an AR in .223 you can use a small pistol or small rifle primer to power a .22 pellet. Shotgun primer works best but one has to modify the case to accept one which isn't hard. A 209 primer will power a .22 pellet through a 2X4.
You used to be able to buy them through Sportsmans Guide, but since I"m flush with a lot of 209 primers and a lathe, I modified the cases myself. One can do it with a hand drill though.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get rid of them (as in destroy them). Its not worth the trouble of the many things that can come from trying to use them. If you want to try a few with crayons and the other things that have been suggested go ahead and shootem up. Some of the advise here is very dangerous. Your asking for trouble trying to use them.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You guys need to think outside the box here quit destroying things.

You can use them for shooting pistol with a wax slug or plastic bullets.
No powder needed. Just a primed case.
A 38 or 357 case will hold a crayon very nicely and break the crayon off flush and shoot it out of the pistol with primer only.

Too much fun.
I have made bullets in my bullet mold from hot glue and shot those with primer only.

If you find a primed case will go off in your weapon I see no reason not to use them.

I would bet those primers were left on the bench or collected from rounds he took apart and did not know what primer they were.
The accuracy nuts we are mixing primers is a no no on a great shooting load.

So take the unknown ones and stick them all together in a jar.
I bet that is what he did.
I have a container of mixed primers.
I use them for crayola loads .

Kids and adults love it.
Shoot them in the garage into a cardboard box .. drape a couple rags over the opening and shoot the rags.
It will dent a new car.
I dont know if the OP is an experienced reloader or not. Probably not if asking about 1000 primers mixed in a jar. Your suggestion is very dangerous.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Your suggestion is very dangerous.

So are you saying this would be dangerous for a non experienced reloader?
Or dangerous for all reloaders?

I have stuck pistol primers in .223 cases and fired them with great pressures to the point of piercing a primer.
At book max loads I had no issues with pistol or rifle small primers in a .223 case in a bolt gun.
Only when I was testing primer cup strength and way over book max did I see a pierced primer.

Large pistol primers I have not shot in rifle cases but I have shot large rifle primers in 45acp and some went off and some did not because the cup was too hard.
The 45 acp was using .308 cases cut down and swagged to make 45 shot shells.
For reliable ignition I needed to use large pistol primers.

If you are not making max loads I really see no issues.

No where in my post did I say make a max load with these.
I spoke of crayon and wax loads without powder.

Maybe I am missing something in your interpretation of what I posted.

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've taken primers that I didn't know what they were, & set them in a 38 special & shot foam earplugs out of my 357 Ruger Blackhawk. No recoil, not very loud, & the foam earplugs would fly about 25 ft or so. Fun.

I don't see how this can be dangerous. If there is no powder involved, there can't be any over-pressure issues. If a plug gets stuck in the barrel, it's easily pushed out with items easily found anywhere such as a pencil, or by then next shot (Which won't cause any damage, cause, um- they are soft ear plugs).
Don't worry about it, but be very leary of loading any real, live ammo with them. But have fun with them, do the plugs or wax.

Ahall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unknown reloading components - powder or primers - dispose of them properly
Not worth the risk to you or your toys.
Damage to you or the gun will cost more than the primers are worth.

You already know they were not properly handled because its a mixed lot that is not labeled.
Something is not right with that picture.

Also, pistol primers are intended for lower pressures than rifle primers and may rupture if used in a rifle case.
That's why some hot pistol rounds use rifle primers.

You don't know if they are magnum or standard primers, which has some effect on ignition and pressure in your loads.
You don't know if they are any good.

I have received a lot of second hand components from estates over the years.
The widows just want it gone and don't know what to do with it.

Don't shoot the reloads
spread the powder out very thin on a big flat rock and burn it
salvage the cases and the lead
Check old cases for balloon head construction.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So are you saying this would be dangerous for a non experienced reloader?
Or dangerous for all reloaders?

I have stuck pistol primers in .223 cases and fired them with great pressures to the point of piercing a primer.
At book max loads I had no issues with pistol or rifle small primers in a .223 case in a bolt gun.
Only when I was testing primer cup strength and way over book max did I see a pierced primer.

Large pistol primers I have not shot in rifle cases but I have shot large rifle primers in 45acp and some went off and some did not because the cup was too hard.
The 45 acp was using .308 cases cut down and swagged to make 45 shot shells.
For reliable ignition I needed to use large pistol primers.

If you are not making max loads I really see no issues.

No where in my post did I say make a max load with these.
I spoke of crayon and wax loads without powder.

Maybe I am missing something in your interpretation of what I posted.
Thanks you proved my point

SPOONBILL

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No more primers than there are, I would leave them in the container they are in and shoot at them from a safe distance. Know when to holde'm and know when to fold'em

Latest posts

Top Bottom