Question about S&W model 41

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I picked up a nice 7 3/8’s barrel 41. Date puts it at 1968-69. It’s in beautiful shape for its age. My question, were any of these U.S. marked that anyone is aware of? I know there were a couple military contracts but the serial doesn’t jive with the SCSW.
@coolhandluke ?
8DDA7A52-4B1C-4BB4-898E-BBAF8F10732F.jpeg

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My guess is that it is a '73-'74 USMC contract pistol.
It’s a 68-69 according to the serial and before the alphabet date code. There was an Air Force contract but that was serial numbers 77xxx to 78xxx according to the book. The Coast Guard had a contract in 71 but it used the alphabet serial.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
We had Smith 41's in N.W.O.S.U. ROTC for our rifle pistol teams. They were stored in the onsite Army ROTC armory. They were all U.S. stamped.

Interesting note, All Springfield 1903 rifles, all M-14 rifles and all M-16 rifles were stored in the armory too with one exception. All of the rifles' bolts were removed and taken to the sheriff's office safe downtown.
We had to send runners there to pick them up if we were going to the range with the rifles.

The color guard had chromed 1903's and the bolts were welded inoperable before chroming.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It’s a 68-69 according to the serial and before the alphabet date code. There was an Air Force contract but that was serial numbers 77xxx to 78xxx according to the book. The Coast Guard had a contract in 71 but it used the alphabet serial.

Looks like the USMC pistols should have had an alphanumeric serial as well. I would think that would make it a USAF pistol, but I haven't ever researched how many different batches they received during the 1960's. Either way, it's a decently scarce example.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We had Smith 41's in N.W.O.S.U. ROTC for our rifle pistol teams. They were stored in the onsite Army ROTC armory. They were all U.S. stamped.

Interesting note, All Springfield 1903 rifles, all M-14 rifles and all M-16 rifles were stored in the armory too with one exception. All of the rifles' bolts were removed and taken to the sheriff's office safe downtown.
We had to send runners there to pick them up if we were going to the range with the rifles.

The color guard had chromed 1903's and the bolts were welded inoperable before chroming.
I wonder if the ROTC pistols would be US marked?

Latest posts

Top Bottom