Question about two old OKC gun shops

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
J.W. Mashburn was a pioneer in wildcat cartridges and custom guns. There is some connection to Gunworld, and J.W. is probably spinning in his grave.

Southwest shooters was once a great store. The lady at the register could piss off the pope (heard she did) but it was worth going there for a lot of stuff. About 20 years ago I got a nice Winchester 06 .22 for about $125. It was a consignment sale. Those are worth, in the condition mine is in, around $500 now. They used to have all the reloading stuff you could need, and were very expert in explaining reloading.

The Mashburn's store, when it was on Penn, was amazing. Sad that it's gone.

But, of all the gone stores, I miss Sportsman's Warehouse the most. Wish they'd come back.

Side note: Haven't seen one word about Dick's here in ages. I predict that they will not prosper in this market.

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I spent a small fortune at SW Shooters pre-wife/kids. They got me by leaving o/u shotguns where I could pick them up. I miss that place. The lady was always nice to me even though I was by all appearances a young ne'er do well.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought stuff at both stores. Bought my first Colt 1911 in SW Shooters old store was on Main St. Before they moved to the newer store (on Virginia I think).

Mashburns did get burglarized a lot and so did Jacksons Drug store. Damn that makes me feel old....

Uncle TK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mashburn History
1) On Linwood (bank expended and forced them out)
2) Moved two blocks north (very short time)
3) Moved to Penn north of 10th street
4) Family Death, and they marked down every thing in store.
5) Oil man on Eastern purchased remaining inventory.
6) Moved Gun shop in to building in oil field equipment yard. (Every thing was marked sky high)
7) Purchased Melvin Tyler's inventory and moved it to a small building in oil field yard (only did mail order)
8) Gun World opened by Oil Man's Family

SW shooters was on Main Street next door to a Big Bearing MFG, then moved to 6th & Virginia, then closed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom