Question for ER Doctors

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I understand that we have one on this site, and I have a question for him.

I'm writing a story and in it a woman is shot with a Kalashnikov through the lower right lung. She undergoes surgery, and I have it that her lung is repaired. My question is this: would the lung be repaired or is it more common for its' removal?

Thanks in advance.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Depends.... lots of variables there.

Wound channel disruption can cause immense bleeding in a situation like that. Removal of a lobe might be necessary if there was enough damage to the tissue surrounding the actual bullet's path. If a more major pulmonary artery or vein was damaged, removal of a lobe might be necessary just to stop the bleeding.

A simple through and through hole in a lung, if it misses major air passages (bronchus or bronchiole) and doesn't have a ton of crush injury from cavitaiton, etc., could simple be patched externally and allowed to seal up on its own. This patient would likely have a chest tube allowing drainage of blood and fluids as well as pulling a slight vacuum to keep the lung inflated (this would be present in any scenario the chest wall is punctured, likely) until it heals/seals on its own.

So... hope that helps. ;)

My gut is, with a 7.62 high velocity round, you're going to lose a lobe or two. Possibly some diaphragmatic and liver damage, too. Also damage to the phrenic nerve, which allows rise and fall of the diaphragm, possibly resulting in permanent diaprhagmatic elevation and paralysis - not an uncommon thing, lots of patients end up with this after open heart surgery, it just causes a little difficulty in getting maximal lung expansion, but isn't a major issue in and of itself.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you very much esteemed sir. That was quite helpful. My story is about a Muslim terror group who kills until they get a cleric released from prison.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a book idea I've been considering for several years. I can't seem to make myself sit down and write it, though.

Good luck, mate!
It'll be a couple of months at least before I submit it to the Copyright Office and put it on kindle.

I have a post-apocalyptic novel on kindle already It's about a small group of Marxist fanatics that unleash a devastating viral plague that ravages the world population.

Here is a link to The Pale Horse.

https://www.amazon.com/Pale-Horse-Gary-Overman-ebook/dp/B00GAZCLQU

It's very long but people who have read it tend to like it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom