question for the Christ believers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I really, really hesitate to get involved here, and I'm not going to debate it, but...

Both the Catholic and Jewish faith (notice: both are not "Christ believers") teach that your body does not belong to you. It belongs to God.

The Catholics go one step further, and teach that your life is not yours to start or end. It belongs to God. Hench the Catholic teaching that suicide is a Mortal Sin, stopping one from achieving Heaven.

The only thing you own is your free will.

"He made them in His image."

Which is translated by both religions to signify that your body is something holy. Hence the Jewish proscription against tattoos.

I have never prescribed to either view, but that's probably one of the many, many reasons why I'm an adherent to neither religion.
Because of, and no disrespect or to step on toes, it's because of their pursuit of doing works to stay in good standing throughout their life, and confessing every wrong committed......which is impossible.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm gonna say it doesn't matter. If God is omnipotent, why doesn't he ease the suffering of his own? I've had folks tell me my "guardian angel" kept me from dying. (most recently in February) My response is "where were they five years ago, when I was actively praying for my son?"

I can tell you this - suicide has an absolute devastating impact on everyone around the death. And it lasts for the remainder of their lives. I can understand it in some situations, but those aren't the majority.

As far as heaven, every culture and cult has their own idea of it. The golden streets, all that...yeah I used to believe it.

If a person has such intense suffering and God allows that, why the hell would I care what he thinks about me ending my own life?

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dude, hang in there.

If I was in that much pain, and was considering it, I’d probably at least sit down with those that it would impact most and see how they felt about it. Unless you are alone in this world your leaving it impacts lots and lots of people. Some in devastating fashion.

I for sure wouldn’t leave any loose ends, and I’d have all the plans and arrangements already made and paid for. And, I don’t mean to be gross, but I wouldn’t make a mess where someone I loved would have to live and be reminded of my selfish act for the remainder of their days.

I mean if we’re gonna discuss this, let’s discuss all of it. It can be really messy. I’ve seen it. I’ve been friends with and acquainted with several that have done it. It is incredibly devastating to those left behind. The scene. The reminders. The sights & smells that can never be forgotten. I know some loved ones that have never forgiven those that have committed the ultimate selfish act. I don’t blame them. The only folks I judge though are those that do it in a manner that will not allow those they love to move on peacefully and without the nightmares that come with being a survivor of a violent suicide death. Think about those you love.

Hang in there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom