Question for the farmers.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve got one similar to the one pictured I bought used for a whole lot less than what they are new (still paid $400 iirc). Honda motor, pretty trouble free. I always shut the fuel off and let it run out and die, and usually don’t have much issue starting after it sits a while.
Only thing I’d do different is I’d find one a few inches shorter so I could grab it on both end and pick it up to set in my truck. It’s heavy, but the length keeps me from doing it with any relative ease. I ended up buying a folding ramp on clearance to load and unload; it’s not much easier but it is doable.

Attachments

• 1675183574443.jpeg
    1675183574443.jpeg
    38 KB · Views: 0

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Gas engine powered compressor, or usually the big compressor at the shop before going to the field. Rarely are there flats on tractors and combines, and if there are, the tire shop is coming out to the field to fix or replace it, and they have their own big gas powered compressor. Compressors on the service truck we use usually airs up implement tires or used for impact wrenches/etc.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We just bought a new 220v 60 gallon IR last year. I THINK it cost right around $1,000 It is rated for continuous duty. The old 60 gallon we had still had a good tank so I plumbed it in also. So that gives us 120 gallons capacity. I’ve got a bigger diameter hose rigged up on one end of the shop plumbed into the secondary tank that I run the 3/4” drive impact off of when you must drag it out. The volume of air and supply hose size has drastically improved the performance of that 3/4” gun. Honestly the air impacts rarely get used anymore since I bought the Milwaukee m18 2767. Our compressor stays powered up 24/7/365 but rarely does it run with the 120 gallon volume on hand. We have air plumbed in the wall to a location near each of our 3 shop doors. Now as far as in the field, we had an engine drive “hotdog” compressor like posted above. The tank rusted out on it. We had a good vertical 60 gallon tank laying around so I welded some supports on it so it would lay flat and the moved the engine and compressor from the old hotdog to the new used 60 gallon now horizontal tank. We have a dedicated tool trailer with plenty of room. So again we now have tons of volume. We can blow tractor radiators out for a couple days before we need to run the engine again and airing up big tires in the field is much nicer.
I’ll try to find pictures of my homemade “super jumbo hotdog” engine drive compressor.
B2114816-C319-45D4-998F-12E837310D89.jpeg
F899021F-44BC-46D1-8BBE-C73E59743F33.jpeg

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gas air compressor mounted on flat bed of farm truck is what I use. Have used a oxygen bottle off a oxygen/acetylene torch in pinch. Back in stock car days kept a spare oxygen bottle on car trailer, connect regulator and air hose. Then use to run impacts and air tires if needed. Easy way to get air supply.

Edit: WARNING! Caution should be taken if using a oxygen bottle for air that your regulator is rated high enough for maximum operating pressure of oxygen bottle. Just a safety note.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom