Question for the IPSC shooters.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just shot my first match a couple of weeks ago, and did not have a magazine holster. I had my mags in a back pocket which ate up my time. What are some suggestions for a 3-4 mag capacity holder? Tried to do a search on the net but it came up with so much stuff I thought I'd see what you guys use. Keep in mind I'm a beginner at this.
Can these be bought locally?

Racer-X

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recommend a CR-Speed belt and pouches as the best USPSA rig (not IDPA legal). The 2 piece CR-Speed belt allows you to keep your pouches and holster in the same place and spaces everything out from your body a little bit for faster access. The mag pouches are very versatile and can be reconfigured to fit just about anything with the spare parts they come with. How many mag pouches you need depends on the division you are shooting in, your mag capacity and how well you can make your shots count:) This should give you a good starting point for how many you will need:
Limited 3-4
Production/L10 4-5
Singlestack 5

The Comp-Tac single mag pouches are a good choice if you want to shoot IDPA with the same gear as well.

cowzrul

Distinguished 1998
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well I am new to IPSC. Only shot one match but have been to two of the classes at TDSA this year. After talking to several "shooters" I bought the CR Speed belt and pouches. I didn't like the pouches for my M&P but the belt is great.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Well I am new to IPSC. Only shot one match but have been to two of the classes at TDSA this year. After talking to several "shooters" I bought the CR Speed belt and pouches. I didn't like the pouches for my M&P but the belt is great.

M&P mags need a little spacer between the pouch and the black spacer. A little loop-side velcro on the inside of the pouch will also work too.

If you stop by I can hook you up.

Mike

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm shooting a Kimber Stainless Target II in .45 ACP using Wilson Combat 10 round mags. I should have mentioned that earlier.
Does that make a difference in the model?

1911user

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The cheapest are the formed plastic double mag pouches (they're really not kydex) like uncle mike's and similar. Next step up is the basic kydex individual mag holders that clip to a standard belt. This is what I use for serious carry and, sometimes, competition. The holy grail is individually adjustable mag pouches designed for competition. Those are the CR speed mag pouches that people are referring to. They're close to top of the line for competition use and very adjustable.

If you are going to play the IPSC game and want to do well, start with the good equipment. You'll end up buying it at some point anyway. Combine good equipment with rigorous practice (live and dry fire) and you'll advance rapidly.

If you are practicing only for concealed carry/serious scenarios and don't care how you place, pick a good belt holster and use your standard mag carriers.

Hope this helps!

Latest posts

Top Bottom