Question for the RV folks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I recently added more batteries and solar panels to our travel trailer setup at our place in New Mexico. The trailer is set up as stationary and under a covered roof and has a covered deck. So now we have 12- 6 volt golf cart batteries wired in series and parallel and 6-100 watt solar panels. I am wanting to add a 2,000 to 3,000 watt inverter. I currently have a 750 watt modified sine inverter that is used to charge cell phones and watch television,etc. (DVDs only as we don't have reception at our location.)

Our place is totally off-grid.

The 750 watt inverter has performed flawlessly for 12 years, but I am wanting to have a bigger pure sine inverter so we can brew coffee and perhaps the microwave without starting the generator.

Any suggestions for a quality inverter? I have read reviews and read reviews and it seems that all the inverters have issues.

Any input appreciated.

Last edited:

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We use xantrex inverter/chargers at work on our portable tooling. Don't know much about them, but they seem to work every time we need them. They're convenient in that whenever the battery is low or dead you just plug it in to 110v extension cord to charge battery again. No switches to hit or flip since it is all automatic. Figured if they were good enough for an aerospace company, they should be ok. YMMV👍

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have an older harbor freight 4000 watt peak 2000 continuous I bought around 2000 or 2001
It has never let me down and has ran window units and drills and chop saws and refrigerators.

My son used it to power his fridge and tv and gaming system along with the central gas furnace blower when the last tornado knocked out power in Moore OK. Oh and his fish tank.
He used it for 2 weeks.
Had it hooked to 1 deep cycle 12v battery (Sun Solar brand) and then jumper cables ran to a Ford Festiva.
It would shut off when battery dropped so far and he would need to start the car and charge batteries.
3/4 of a tank of fuel in that tiny car in 2 weeks.
Pretty good. And only used one of the 120volt plugs

They no longer sell that brand but i would not hesitate to look or buy another inverter from harbor freight.
Read the reviews on them and decide.

I used mine all the time and it would even run my 110 volt Lincoln 100 mig and I use gas on it.
Actually welded better hooked to that than it did hooked to my buddies house and a 50 foot 12 gauge extension cord.
His house is very old though and probably tiny old wire.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have an older harbor freight 4000 watt peak 2000 continuous I bought around 2000 or 2001
It has never let me down and has ran window units and drills and chop saws and refrigerators.

My son used it to power his fridge and tv and gaming system along with the central gas furnace blower when the last tornado knocked out power in Moore OK. Oh and his fish tank.
He used it for 2 weeks.
Had it hooked to 1 deep cycle 12v battery (Sun Solar brand) and then jumper cables ran to a Ford Festiva.
It would shut off when battery dropped so far and he would need to start the car and charge batteries.
3/4 of a tank of fuel in that tiny car in 2 weeks.
Pretty good. And only used one of the 120volt plugs

They no longer sell that brand but i would not hesitate to look or buy another inverter from harbor freight.
Read the reviews on them and decide.

I used mine all the time and it would even run my 110 volt Lincoln 100 mig and I use gas on it.
Actually welded better hooked to that than it did hooked to my buddies house and a 50 foot 12 gauge extension cord.
His house is very old though and probably tiny old wire.
I went to the Harbor Freight website this morning and I see now Harbor Freight offers 2 new Pure Sine wave inverters with remote. I am leaning towards purchasing one of those and getting the extended coverage plan as Harbor Freight only offers 90 days warranty on their products unless one purchases the extended warranty.

I don't usually pay for an extended warranty, but with electronics from Harbor Freight it might be a good idea.

The reviews for Harbor Freight modified sine inverters are mainly positive.

I know their products are all made in China. Then again most inverters being sold are made in China.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mine is NOT Pure sine wave and stated it needed a 200 amp fuse.
I never put a fuse on it but did make darn sure wires would not short out and I ran heavy gauge wire.
It was mounted in my van for 13 years.
It outlasted the warranty but I did buy the warranty.

Mine is so old there is not a USB or remote.
Yes and China made.

It also pulls like 5 amps when not in use so unhook them when not in use.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I purchased a solar system for my off grid cabin from Northern Arizona Wind and Sun I did it all online. They were great. Tell them what you want and they will come back with a system quote for your needs. I put it all together myself. They were very receptive to questions. I started with one of the larger Goal Zero systems but it just did not have the capacity I desired.

Latest posts

Top Bottom