Question for the RV folks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I purchased a solar system for my off grid cabin from Northern Arizona Wind and Sun I did it all online. They were great. Tell them what you want and they will come back with a system quote for your needs. I put it all together myself. They were very receptive to questions. I started with one of the larger Goal Zero systems but it just did not have the capacity I desired.
I understand the solar aspect and have designed my own system that is expandable, so I really don't need advice on the system, just looking for input regarding inverters and deciding on the best option as far as quality. Northern Arizona Wind and Solar might be an option as to their opinion of the best inverter for my needs.

It has been a few years ago, but I have looked at their website.

Thanks for the input.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here are a few pictures of the current setup. A small correction from my original post. Currently there are only 10 6volt golf cart batteries. I plan to add two more. I recently inherited free 6 almost new 6 volt golf cart batteries from a neighbor.

Prior to the free 6 - 6volt batteries I had 4 and 2-100 watt solar panels. Just added 4 more 100 watt solar panels and larger MPPT charge controller. The system is doing great. Today here in New Mexico we have total cloud cover and the system is keeping the batteries charged at 14.7 Volt @4.7amps and 68 watts from the panels at an outside temp of 44 degrees.

Attachments

• solar1.jpg
    solar1.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 13
  • solar2.jpg
    solar2.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 13
  • solar3.jpg
    solar3.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 12
  • solar4.jpg
    solar4.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 14

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I understand the solar aspect and have designed my own system that is expandable, so I really don't need advice on the system, just looking for input regarding inverters and deciding on the best option as far as quality. Northern Arizona Wind and Solar might be an option as to their opinion of the best inverter for my needs.

It has been a few years ago, but I have looked at their website.

Thanks for the input.
The inverter I purchased from them was the Phocos pure sine wave inverter PSW-H-3kW-120/24V It has worked flawlessly. I like that it can be connected to a grid and it automatically switches from array to grid when it's detected ( should I desire to fire up the gas generator ).

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I won't be of much help to you as we've never really used our "inverter." When we ordered our 38 1/2-foot fifth wheel back in 2010, we also ordered it with a 3000 watt Xantrex converter/inverter. In addition to the inverter, the company also added 2 extra batteries to the RV for a total of 4 batteries. We live in our RV full-time, so we are almost always hooked up to electric. In all the years since we started living full-time in 2011, the only issue we have had with the inverter is more a case of overloading the load and tripping a breaker in the inverter. A simple push of a button gets it back online as the converter. And yes, ours is a pure sine wave inverter, which is the only way to go as far as I'm concerned.

No comments on solar as we don't have any of that.

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My shop is solar powered and I like Cotek sine wave inverters. The are RF quiet even for HAM radio. I have a 2000 watt and a 650 watt in the shop. I also have a 1500 watt in the house with 3 75 amp hour batteries for a limited backup in the house. I bought them from Amazon and have had them for about 10 years.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My shop is solar powered and I like Cotek sine wave inverters. The are RF quiet even for HAM radio. I have a 2000 watt and a 650 watt in the shop. I also have a 1500 watt in the house with 3 75 amp hour batteries for a limited backup in the house. I bought them from Amazon and have had them for about 10 years.
I will look into them. Do you know if they can be powered off & on via a remote. Which ever brand I end up purchasing needs to have remote capability as the inverter will be in a rear storage area of the trailer and if not remote capable I would need to go outside and open compartment to turn on and off as needed. Thanks for the info.

Latest posts

Top Bottom