Question for those smarter than me (everyone)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tcox

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I began some load development today on my 6.5 creedmoor. Here are some specs:

Remington 700 long action
28" benchmark barrel 1-8 twist
Timney trigger
McMillan stock
Night force 20moa rail
Vortex PST 6-24

This rifle was build by Norbert Costa at sure shot.

I began with loading 143 hornady ELD-x projectiles, hornady new brass, CCI benchrest primers, and various powders (rl-17, h4350, superformance). For now, I just loaded at standard COAL 2.80 and hope to play with depth after I get a few contestants.

My rifle seemed to like the hotter loads... Literally the hotter the load, the better it got until I started seeing pressure signs. My groups are much tighter when I see signs. Infact, once I see the first pressure signs, my group shrank from 1/4 Minute to one ragged hole. The signs were primers flattening and some very minor cratering. My best load was pushing the 143 gr pill at 2800~ Fps according to data. Would you guys find a different load, or would it bother you to have flat primers/minor cratering for your everyday, finished product load?

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your primer looks just like mine when I load my 7wsm with 180's and I've shot it that way for two years now. I generally go by a stiff bolt lift and not primers when looking for pressure signs. I run my 180's anywhere from 2860 to 3010 fps without a stiff bolt lift but I do have flattened/cratered primers with Hodgons H1000 powder and CCI BR2 primers. One positive is it doesn't show pressure signs throughout the Oklahoma temperature swings.

I'm not sure of RL17 but the H4350 is an extream powder that generally does well in temperature swings.

I haven't had any problems finding pressure signs conducting an optimum charge weight (OCW) test while loading rounds in 0.30 grain differences. Some people load in 0.20 grains.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
My .280AI loads no matter the grain of bullet performs better when pushed. The same with a couple other cartridges I shoot. Nothing wrong with the primer in your pic IMO.

Tcox

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
That's good to hear, but I can see some very early signs of cratering. Would you stay with your statement if you were seeing some minor cratering or I'm I being a bit overly-critical?

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's good to hear, but I can see some very early signs of cratering. Would you stay with your statement if you were seeing some minor cratering or I'm I being a bit overly-critical?

Like I said, I go by bolt lift stiffness not primers. Personally I don't see a problem with your primers in the picture. Is your bolt lift the same as usual?

I've seen guys get over 2800 fps with 140gr bullets using 42.5-43.0 gr H4350 with 26" barrels.

I will say it's hard to say for certain, each rifle/load is different but I'm commenting on what I have experienced with my rifle/load and based on that I don't see any difference with regards to your brass and mine.

Tcox

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Like I said, I go by bolt lift stiffness not primers. Personally I don't see a problem with your primers in the picture. Is your bolt lift the same as usual?

I've seen guys get over 2800 fps with 140gr bullets using 42.5-43.0 gr H4350 with 26" barrels.

I will say it's hard to say for certain, each rifle/load is different but I'm commenting on what I have experienced with my rifle/load and based on that I don't see any difference with regards to your brass and mine.

Excellent. I'll keep going then. Thank you very much for the help.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Excellent. I'll keep going then. Thank you very much for the help.

Just so we're clear, I'm not saying to keep pushing the limits. Pushing a 143gr bullet at 2800fps in a creed is fantastic. If you desire to find your pressure threshold I would do it in 0.20 grain increments and stop at the slightest indications of a stiff bolt lift.

If you currently have superb accuracy now, ask yourself, what will an additional 20-50fps benefit me in the long run? Answer, absolutely nothing.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just so we're clear, I'm not saying to keep pushing the limits. Pushing a 143gr bullet at 2800fps in a creed is fantastic. If you desire to find your pressure threshold I would do it in 0.20 grain increments and stop at the slightest indications of a stiff bolt lift.

If you currently have superb accuracy now, ask yourself, what will an additional 20-50fps benefit me in the long run? Answer, absolutely nothing.
He has a great point and is right on!

Also think about high summer temps, if a (safe) load is worked up in 40-50* temps, it could (could) be over pressured when temps are in the 90s. Maybe one of these guys that reload and shoot precision can expound on that further.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom