Question for those that tow travel trailers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I pull a 27' with 1/2 ton pick up. 31' is very likely over your GCWR.
23 -24' with the equalizer bars and electric brake should not be a problem.

Most important is HOOK UP THE WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION BARS CORRECTLY, use safety chains, check lug nuts on trailer.

UHAUL is your friend to get what you need.

Check your trans. May want / need to pull in D, not OD.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I echo what Terry Miller is say. The Ram 1500s have about the worst tow ratings of all 1/2 ton trucks. Depending on the trim level of your truck the tow rating could be higher or lower than the 7500# being stated earlier. Make sure you evenly load your contents and make sure your black and gray tanks are empty and your fresh water tank is only about 1/4 full. Because of your truck I'd go for the shorter trailer.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The 2019 Ram 1500's top trim levels are the most luxurious in its class, but where does towing capacity fall for such a posh truck? Ranging from 6,250 pounds to 12,750 pounds, there's plenty of towing range for those looking into the new Ram 1500, so check out our guide to the 2019 Ram 1500's towing capacities below. One thing to keep in mind, however, is that Ram recommends using a weight distribution hitch for towing anything more than 5,000 pounds.

Read more about trim levels and tow ratings on that year truck at this link.

https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2019/08/breaking-down-the-2019-ram-1500s-towing-capacities.html

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the info everyone. I appreciate it all. I will definitely be checking out the weight and everything of the in laws trailer before deciding on that one. Likely I'll end up with the rental instead. Especially since I'm already not overly comfortable with borrowing something as expensive as the in laws trailer. 😁

Chaparral

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One thing I forgot. What is your differential? I am willing to bet it is along a 3.5 for fuel economy. This also lowers your safe tow capacity. I use 3.73 and 4.12. Lousy for economy, great for loads.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I did some math years ago when I was offered a Travel trailer for super cheap.
This thing was 2 years old and excellent shape.

I passed on it.
I did the math.
I can't take my boat along and the trailer.
Gas would cost more to pull it but gas was in the 2 buck range.

I would have to PAY to park it and hook to electricity or use a lot of propane and or more gasoline for the generator.
I would need to dump the Doo Doo out of it and I am pretty sure you must flush that tank or it may get ripe.

Not to mention Tires lights and bearings. And if you are smart you would put insurance on it.
Crazy things can happen you know.

After all the math was done it would be cheaper and much more convenient to get a hotel or
Rent a house from Air B&B or something or rent a state park cabin.

That is what we do and no upkeep on a travel trailer and I get to drag my boat with me.
Win.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are three big considerations I make when prepping a rig to tow on the highway.

First is if the brakes are adequate to for a reasonable emergency stop considering the weight. The brakes getting above operating temperature and no longer slowing you down is scary in a racecar on a track, it is downright terrifying on a public road in a 15,000lb# rig.

Second is if the tow vehicle has the length and mass to keep a trailer under control at highway speeds with the anticipated crosswinds. Sometimes the weight of the trailer is well within legal tow limits for the truck but a 40mph crosswind hitting a travel trailer while youre doing 65mph or faster is scary if the truck doesnt have the mass or length to handle it. Ive been in setups where the trailer could steer the truck and it is NOT fun.

Third is if the truck has enough residual power at highway speeds to snap a bumper pulled trailer back into shape if it starts swaying. Distributing the weight properly on the trailer will all but completely remove this risk, but I have seen it happen to others enough that it is always a consideration before I hit the interstate.

I started pulling gooseneck trailers full of cattle shortly after I turned 16 for long distances and hopping pasture to pasture in the country with my dad before then. Just be aware of others and keep plenty of safe distance between you and the vehicle in front of you. Other drivers will eat up that space fast, so it is important to leave early enough you can stay relaxed on your drive and go at the speed that requires the least amount of changes to your speed or lane. I also like to get a feel for braking potential and acceleration on surface streets before jumping on the highway. If you havent backed a trailer very much, maybe get some cones or similar beforehand and practice hand signals and backing with your wife before you leave for your trip.

alnpar

Old Truckers Never Die
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A quick Google search shows a 2019 ram 1500 has towing up to 7500lbs. My 30ft trailer weighs 7000lbs and it gives my 1500 chevy all it wants. I would check the weight of the trailer and then decide. Does your truck have a brake controller? I have a brake controller, weight distribution hitch and air bags.
In my opinion, an Electric Brake is a MUST! My Toyota Tundra has a Plug & Play. Got off Amazon for less than half of what a trailer place wanted. Took me longer to mount to the dash than to wire it up. About 15 mins total

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, according to the VIN lookup that I found, my truck is rated at:
MAX PAYLOAD LB 1,397 and MAX TOWING LB 8,040

And my truck is equipped with the 3.21 rear end, which I know is definitely not the best for towing often, but on Ram forums I'm seeing plenty of people tow decently sized trailers occasionally with this same setup. I'm not discounting the fact that there are vehicles that are better suited to pulling a house around with them, but I'm pretty sure that for a one time thing, mine (and we) will survive. 😂

I am, however, looking into what it would take to put electric brake control on my truck because I definitely want to be able to stop when I need to.

Latest posts

Top Bottom