Question for You Oilfield Folks...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
2014-06-19_10-36-26_568.jpg

16colt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Stage frac, usually in thick formations such as the Mississippi lime. Cast iron bridge plug, frac, drill the plug and repeat. I HATED these, not because they were hard, they just took several days and once you start, you don't stop.
Signed- SPDGUNS, BS Geol, OKSTATE '84. Dresser Atlas Wireline Services, 1984-1986
I would assume the frac going on out there is a “plug and perf” type. Wireline runs in hole with composite ball drop frac plug and perf guns. Plug is set, guns are fired and wireline pulls out of hole. Next a ball is dropped (pumped down) to seal off previous stage. Once pressure response is seen, pressure pumping begins and fracture is initiated and sand is pumped to keep fracture propped open. All composite frac plugs are drilled out after completion of all stages of frac - Workover rig comes out for drill out.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
6 different wells were fraced in the last 2 months all within a mile of my house. A number of times it sounded like a Huey was hovering directly above for hours at a time. Earplugs worked wonders. I couldn’t complain too much cause two of those wells were my MIL’s. Though I laughed when she called wanting to know what that noise was I said “Thats your money dance goin’ on!”

Last edited:

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If this is a newly drilled well, there would have been a drilling rig out there for anywhere from 30-60 days (again depending on vertical depth of well and how long the horizontal lateral is) prior to the operations taking place now. What is going on now (the “frac”) is the completion stage of the well - next will be production stage.

We've lived in this area now since Fall of 2018 with no drilling rig set up there in that length of time.

I wondered if it was fracking, but when looked at images online for that term, all of them had a "derrick" at the site, thus the reason for supplying pictures. This has been going on here for about 2 weeks (I think).

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We've lived in this area now since Fall of 2018 with no drilling rig set up there in that length of time.

I wondered if it was fracking, but when looked at images online for that term, all of them had a "derrick" at the site, thus the reason for supplying pictures. This has been going on here for about 2 weeks (I think).

Then it was drilled before you moved in, and they are just getting around to completing the well.

The fracking operation can take any where from a couple weeks to over a month. Took them about a month to frac the one a mile due east of me.

The noise will subside in time and you’ll have a well for a neighbor, that unless you can see it you won’t know it’s there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom