Question: May an Oklahoma resident loan a firearm to a resident

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For lots of reasons, including the "ridiculous federal law on interstate transfers", and potential liability, I would never loan a pistol to a resident of another state, even a family member. If I wanted them to have it, I would transfer possession and ownership through a FFL in their state. Then it is theirs and I am not responsible for them or it. If she has to use it, I'm in the clear. Same with long term loan of cars: if I keep ownership, I keep liability.

And yes, you do understand the Federal requirements.

TheDoubleD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No read paragraph b the exception.

18 U.S.C. 922(a)(5)

It shall be unlawful--for any person (other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector) to transfer, sell, trade, give, transport, or deliver any firearm to any person (other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector) who the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in the State in which the transferor resides" post=  except that this paragraph shall not apply to (A) the transfer, transportation, or delivery of a firearm made to carry out a bequest of a firearm to, or an acquisition by intestate succession of a firearm by, a person who is permitted to acquire or possess a firearm under the laws of the State of his residence, and (B) the loan or rental of a firearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes;

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is from memory research a year or two ago so take with a grain of salt, but I believe you can loan a firearm to an out-of-state resident if they are a close relative and can legally possess a firearm. But you cannot sell or give it to them, or even loan one to anyone other than a close relative.

But I've been out of town and offline for a week so I'm way too busy catching up on OSA to research it again right now. :)

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, I think you would have a difficult time convincing the courts that a gun loan for self defense is for "sporting purposes".

Personally I have never been in this situation and most likely never will so I'm not sure what I would do.

As far as the transfer goes... @CorpsVet I believe you have to ship it from a FFL here to a Texas FFL , they will do a transfer to her and then when you get the gun back she will have to take it to her FFL to be shipped to your FFL and transferred back to you.

I don't think you can just take the gun to Texas and transfer it to her there.

Maybe we get @reddog1 or another dealer to chime in on this.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom