question on rotary spreaders

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Figured this is the best place for this question. I have a rotary fertilizer spreader, the kind that has the opening that drops the granules on a segmented disc that in turn rotates via the axle and gears.
It seems that it throws it on one side as Im walking, more than the other. maybe Im going too fast. has anyone any tips or ideas? thinking about modding a lip on the disc or something.
thanks

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why would you ask anyone here, when you believe we do not actually know anything and would only say something because we all have a low self esteem?

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does it have drop holes that the fertilizer falls thru onto different spots on the disk? If so close the one a lil or open the one on the opposite side a lil. If it has a holes on the left and right, the one on the left drops fertilizer that gets thrown right and vice versa.
Also, be sure your throwing disk isn't warped. I'd say it's flat if it only throws heavier to one side.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I put down some fertilizer/weed killer with mine and noticed it was throwing more to one side too. Not going to worry about it. I turned on the water sprinkler system afterwards and figure it'll all get watered in anyway. This is not a precision operation; it just beats slinging the stuff out with a hand.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does it have drop holes that the fertilizer falls thru onto different spots on the disk? If so close the one a lil or open the one on the opposite side a lil. If it has a holes on the left and right, the one on the left drops fertilizer that gets thrown right and vice versa.
Also, be sure your throwing disk isn't warped. I'd say it's flat if it only throws heavier to one side.
no; just one big louvered hole.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The only way to somewhat fix it is the divert the stream to the center of the the spinning thingy. If it drops evenly around it, it'll be thrown somewhat evenly. As it is more is thrown off just after dropping than makes it around a ways.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only way to somewhat fix it is the divert the stream to the center of the the spinning thingy. If it drops evenly around it, it'll be thrown somewhat evenly. As it is more is thrown off just after dropping than makes it around a ways.
The problem with that approach is that you'd get a 360 degree broadcast pattern rather than the desired fan shape (which generally spares the operator from being fertilized).

Latest posts

Top Bottom