question on selling a long gun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okvet03

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, it IS against the law. While I may not agree with all of our laws, I'm not about to willingly break them to put my future in jeopardy. I think it's important we stand above and hold ourselves to the highest standards if it is possible and... well, I just think it's a good idea, so we don't reflect poorly on the firearms community.

Kinda like the report lately about the DoJ (wasn't it?) trying to buy guns illegally online and they got turned down every time by law-abiding gun owners. Very, very nice.
Well said.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sell of long guns can be made through an ffl if the buyer is from a neighboring state. I.E. texas resident can buy a long gun in Oklahoma and take it back to Texas and vise versa. This is only for long guns (no handguns or "other") and only bordering states. Now finding an ffl that will actually do it is another story.

Ah, I was thinking of handguns, My bad.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sell of long guns can be made through an ffl if the buyer is from a neighboring state. I.E. texas resident can buy a long gun in Oklahoma and take it back to Texas and vise versa. This is only for long guns (no handguns or "other") and only bordering states. Now finding an ffl that will actually do it is another story.

FFL sales of long guns to nonresidents are NOT limited to adjoining states, that is a myth......if the sale is legal in the FFL's state and the buyer's state, it is legal to do it.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-licensee-sell-firearm-nonlicensee-who-resident-another-state

May a licensee sell a firearm to a nonlicensee who is a resident of another State?

.......In addition, a licensee may sell a rifle or shotgun to a person who is not a resident of the State where the licensee’s business premises is located in an over–the–counter transaction, provided the transaction complies with State law in the State where the licensee is located and in the State where the purchaser resides.

[18 U.S.C. 922(b)(3); 27 CFR 478.99(a)]

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The "neighboring state" bit is no longer required; a person can buy a long gun from a dealer (FFL) in any state so long as the purchase is legal in his home state. OP can meet him at an FFL and have the FFL complete the transfer (it technically works as a transfer from the seller to the FFL, then from the FFL to the buyer, so the buyer is always buying from the FFL for the purposes of the statute). OP can also send it to an FFL in any other state, but cannot transfer it directly to a non-FFL in any state other than Oklahoma.

harley128

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The "neighboring state" bit is no longer required; a person can buy a long gun from a dealer (FFL) in any state so long as the purchase is legal in his home state. OP can meet him at an FFL and have the FFL complete the transfer (it technically works as a transfer from the seller to the FFL, then from the FFL to the buyer, so the buyer is always buying from the FFL for the purposes of the statute). OP can also send it to an FFL in any other state, but cannot transfer it directly to a non-FFL in any state other than Oklahoma.
That is correct Dave

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can sale a long gun to a non resident without going through a FFL. Handguns are another story..................................
I Stand Corrected......Wow, I am glad you posted that.

Last edited:

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can sale a long gun to a non resident without going through a FFL. Handguns are another story
Sorry Jimmy you're wrong

To whom may an unlicensed person transfer firearms under the GCA?
A person may transfer a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his or her State, provided the transferor does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the transferee is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. There may be State laws that regulate intrastate firearm transactions. A person considering transferring a firearm should contact his or her State Attorney General’s Office to inquire about the laws and possible State or local restrictions.

Generally, for a person to lawfully transfer a firearm to an unlicensed person who resides out of State, the firearm must be shipped to a Federal firearms licensee (FFL) within the transferee’s State of residence. The transferee may then receive the firearm from the FFL upon completion of an ATF Form 4473 and a NICS background check.
An exception is provided for transfers of firearms to nonresidents to carry out a lawful bequest or acquisition by intestate succession. This exception would authorize the transfer of a firearm to a nonresident who inherits a firearm under the will of a decedent.

A person may transfer a firearm to a licensee in any State. However, a firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector.

[18 U.S.C 922(a)(5) and 922(d); 27 CFR 478.30, 478.32]

Last edited:

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Still mistaken. Handguns must go through an FFL in the buyer's state of residence.

Not to be pedantic, but messing this up can land people in Club Fed, so it's important.
Yeah, my original statement was FFL to FFL.. From one state to the other. I was thinking of the handgun requirements.

Latest posts

Top Bottom