question on selling a long gun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm still not sure you have this right.......ffl to ffl in NOT required, even for handguns. You only need an ffl in the buyers state. it is perfectly legal for a non ffl to ship firearms, including handguns, to an ffl in another state. Non ffls can mail long guns to ffls, but must ship handguns via common carrier.
This is not true For At least one state (rhymes w schmalifornia) May be others. It’s been a while since I was up on it.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm glad it's been cleared up, at least for me. I sure their are a lot of gun owners that don't know this or are willingly breaking the law. I haven't attended many shows in quite awhile, but would usually make the Wachmker in Tulsa in the fall. I see quite a few "private collectors" from out of state, that will sell you a firearm or buy/trade with no paperwork at all. Many patrons walking around and selling/buying firearms to other individuals that could be out of state visitors.
“Could be” doesn’t mean you have to police them. The onus is on them unless you have reason to believe that they cannot legally complete a private transaction w them.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So if I legally carry my CCW weapon into Texas...

1. Can I go to an FFL dealer there and sell/trade my CCW weapon to that dealer?

2. Can I sell/trade it to another person (that resides in Texas) through that FFL dealer?

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So if I legally carry my CCW weapon into Texas...

1. Can I go to an FFL dealer there and sell/trade my CCW weapon to that dealer?

2. Can I sell/trade it to another person (that resides in Texas) through that FFL dealer?
I am not a law expert. But
Yes and yes
Hmmm... wait a sec.

I can probably sell it, but probably not trade for another handgun unless I have it sent to an OK FFL dealer. Otherwise I could just go there and buy a handgun without going through an OK FFL dealer.

Correct?

Last edited:

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is not true For At least one state (rhymes w schmalifornia) May be others. It’s been a while since I was up on it.

Guess you know something the CA. Attorney General doesn't??

From the CA Attorney Generals FAQ https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/cflcfaqs#2

1. I am not an FFL but I want to ship a firearm to a California FFL. Do I have to obtain a Firearms Shipment Approval number before shipping a firearm to California?
    • No. Only shipments from Federal Firearms Licensees (FFL) require a Firearms Shipment Approval number.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom