Question on transferring a FA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This question was posed to me and I have an assumption on the answer...but am not positive.

If a FA 1919 was registered by guy 1 then sold to guy 2 without being transferred...that is obviously an illegal sale. Guy 2 now wants to sell it. Does that nullify the original tax stamp or can guy 3 go back to guy 1 and have him transfer it to guy 3?

If original stuff was lost, can you do like a "lost title" like you can for a car if it was originally registered and keep its status legit...or is this just a grenade about to blow up in someones face?

I'm thinking grenade...but have never looked into it and dont want to give false info.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The "current" registered owner can contact BATFE and a certified copy of the form minus the stamp can be sent to that person. You are correct that when owner 1 sold to owner 2 without a transfer it was illegal. If owner 2 is in possession without the form/stamp, it is a felony.

The "current" legally registered owner can sell to whomever he wants as long as the person can legally own/possess and the transfer is done properly.

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If guy 2 has it without a stamp, he needs to get it back to guy one ASAP before he gets caught and has to pay a huge legal bill and fines. He could end up in federal prison also.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I honestly dont know and dont really want to ask. This was posed to me by someone and my initial response was "run away!" but that I didnt honestly know the exact answer.
He initially wanted to know if it could be added to the registry which I believe has long been closed.
Then he said that owner 1 may have gotten it registered, but he doesnt believe owner 2 has said paperwork...but I dont know who is in actual possession of it. I think I revert back to my initial response of "RUN AWAY!!"

Latest posts

Top Bottom