1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

Question on transferring a FA

Discussion in 'NFA & Class III Discussion' started by adamsredlines, Dec 5, 2016.

1. adamsredlines

adamsredlines Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    This question was posed to me and I have an assumption on the answer...but am not positive.

If a FA 1919 was registered by guy 1 then sold to guy 2 without being transferred...that is obviously an illegal sale. Guy 2 now wants to sell it. Does that nullify the original tax stamp or can guy 3 go back to guy 1 and have him transfer it to guy 3?

If original stuff was lost, can you do like a "lost title" like you can for a car if it was originally registered and keep its status legit...or is this just a grenade about to blow up in someones face?

I'm thinking grenade...but have never looked into it and dont want to give false info.

2. Fyrtwuck

Fyrtwuck Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    The "current" registered owner can contact BATFE and a certified copy of the form minus the stamp can be sent to that person. You are correct that when owner 1 sold to owner 2 without a transfer it was illegal. If owner 2 is in possession without the form/stamp, it is a felony.

The "current" legally registered owner can sell to whomever he wants as long as the person can legally own/possess and the transfer is done properly.

3. bsmith918

bsmith918 Sharpshooter

If guy 2 has it without a stamp, he needs to get it back to guy one ASAP before he gets caught and has to pay a huge legal bill and fines. He could end up in federal prison also.

4. FullAuto

FullAuto Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Who has possession of the gun? Is anyone holding a physical copy of the Form 4?

5. adamsredlines

adamsredlines Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I honestly dont know and dont really want to ask. This was posed to me by someone and my initial response was "run away!" but that I didnt honestly know the exact answer.
    He initially wanted to know if it could be added to the registry which I believe has long been closed.
    Then he said that owner 1 may have gotten it registered, but he doesnt believe owner 2 has said paperwork...but I dont know who is in actual possession of it. I think I revert back to my initial response of "RUN AWAY!!"