Question regarding Winchester 231 or CFEpistol Powder

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I have two pounds each of these two powders for pistol calibers and was wondering which of these two would be better suited for 41mag and 44mag applications. Both would be out of a revolver. I’ve read you can use either of these powders for the calibers I stated but having trouble finding load data for 41mag using CFEpistol. I would be using a large magnum pistol primer with these loads.

I’m also open to criticism if using either of these is a bad idea.. I just don’t really want to buy anymore powder and I think either of these will work for my 9mm, 38special, and 45acp as well if I ever get around to loading for them.

ForsakenConservative

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As far as a good or bad idea, you use what you can get these days……..
I have never used CFE, but “cut my teeth” reloading with HP38 (W231) in 45ACP and 44Mag. Worked fine, was a good all-around powder, but I found it kinda dirty. Magnum performance is mediocre for the high pressures you get, but for moderate plinker loads, it’s fine.
Regardless, cleaning a dirty-powder fouled gun beats not shooting!😛

Last edited:

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have two pounds each of these two powders for pistol calibers and was wondering which of these two would be better suited for 41mag and 44mag applications. Both would be out of a revolver. I’ve read you can use either of these powders for the calibers I stated but having trouble finding load data for 41mag using CFEpistol. I would be using a large magnum pistol primer with these loads.

I’m also open to criticism if using either of these is a bad idea.. I just don’t really want to buy anymore powder and I think either of these will work for my 9mm, 38special, and 45acp as well if I ever get around to loading for them.

Are you trying to load high velocity “magnum” level loads? Or just want it to go bang and punch a hole in paper? Or?

The more accurate answer will depend greatly on your intended use.

sklfco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Short answer, yes either w231/hp38 or the cfe pistol will push a 44 or 41 diameter slug out the barrel of a revolver. The 231 will also swap over to everything else you listed with the benefits of being a ball powder.
Down side, you will be restricted to “mid-level” power loads and less in anything with a “magnum” on the end of it. For that extra bit of flash at the muzzle you will need something a bit slower like 2400/h100.
Also if you paid extra for the magnum primers it won’t help much with the 231 speed powders. But I get the need to use what one can find these days.
I load 357/38, I use SPP in the mid level power loads and SRP when I want to step up to the magnum loads.
When experimenting with unknown loads, start low and go slow. Worst that will happen is you will stick bullet in the barrel. As long as you don’t try to run that out with a full power load you’ll be fine.

Latest posts

Top Bottom