Question regarding Winchester 231 or CFEpistol Powder

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
T
Go bang and punch paper/steel
The W231/HP-38 is an excellent choice for less than full power Magnum revolver loads.

No need for Magnum primers, and I'll bet you can get 3/4 of the way to full power.

Economical too. You won't use 1/2 the powder you would for a full-house slow powder load.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
T

The W231/HP-38 is an excellent choice for less than full power Magnum revolver loads.

No need for Magnum primers, and I'll bet you can get 3/4 of the way to full power.

Economical too. You won't use 1/2 the powder you would for a full-house slow powder load.

Large magnum pistol primers are the only large pistol primers I have unfortunately…

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
For .41magnum Would 7.0 grains of W231/HP38 be a good conservative starting load when using a large magnum primer? This is the load data I found on Hodgdon website for a Hornady bullet but their data shows a regular primer. I might add that I am using a Berrys 210 grain jacketed bullet.

B14504FA-EAFB-4367-9FCB-86876AEB19F9.jpeg

Last edited:

sklfco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For .41magnum Would 7.0 grains of W231/HP38 be a good conservative starting load when using a large magnum primer? This is the load data I found on Hodgdon website for a Hornady bullet but their data shows a regular primer. I might add that I am using a Berrys 210 grain jacketed bullet.

View attachment 277150
Considering the magnum primer in the mix
I would have zero issues with that start load.
I would load a full cylinders worth of the following weights with the components you listed.
Going outside published load data is a risky experimental process, the dangers will fall on you should you do this. You may discover through the process you can go even higher. Go slow, take notes!
Pay attention to recoil and look for pressure signs on each shell.
If you have access to a chronograph, it provides valuable data.
The Berry’s are excellent range bullets.
Let us know how it works out.

Edited to remove non factual information, and clarification.

Last edited:

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
This is from Load Data dotcom. As per everyone else's advice, I'd start low and work up...it's easy to mess up.

Attachments

• 41 mag w231 210gr nosler.pdf
    146.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 41 mag w231 Lee data.pdf
    132.3 KB · Views: 0

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Well I finally got around to loading some 41mag. I went conservative and only loaded 12 rounds for two cylinders worth in the ol 3” S&W 657 no dash.

I went with 7.0gr of Win231 with a CCI350 primer since I don’t have any standard large pistol primers.

I’ll see how these do and if they go good I may stick with the load. Not sure if I want to go with much less powder than 7.0gr. What say ye, OSA?

ForsakenConservative

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How “full” was the shell? If you have too little powder, the primer can flash across the top of a half-ish-full case, causing all the powder to ignite at once-no bueno. If it was 70-80% full, it should be OK. I’m concerned that the low powder volume + mag primer may spell problems. I know W231 doesn’t take up a lot of space as it is, it’s charge volumes are kinda small normally. Proceed carefully, check each case for signs of excess pressures, and stop if anything seems odd (normal stuff, right?).
Just random thoughts from a washed-up mechanic…….

Latest posts

Top Bottom