Question regarding Winchester 231 or CFEpistol Powder

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
How “full” was the shell? If you have too little powder, the primer can flash across the top of a half-ish-full case, causing all the powder to ignite at once-no bueno. If it was 70-80% full, it should be OK. I’m concerned that the low powder volume + mag primer may spell problems. I know W231 doesn’t take up a lot of space as it is, it’s charge volumes are kinda small normally. Proceed carefully, check each case for signs of excess pressures, and stop if anything seems odd (normal stuff, right?).
Just random thoughts from a washed-up mechanic…….

Yeah I’m gonna say it was maybe below or near half full without a bullet seated.

ForsakenConservative

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just be careful……If you get really light recoil, crummy velocity and poor accuracy with ANY sign of high pressure in the case (flattened primer, gas carbon deposits around primer, tight extraction), you should re-evaluate. HP38/W231 runs all day long with low charge volumes, I just don’t know what the hotter magnum primer with large (unused) case capacity may do.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Just be careful……If you get really light recoil, crummy velocity and poor accuracy with ANY sign of high pressure in the case (flattened primer, gas carbon deposits around primer, tight extraction), you should re-evaluate. HP38/W231 runs all day long with low charge volumes, I just don’t know what the hotter magnum primer with large (unused) case capacity may do.

I’m going to see if I can come up with some large primers. You got me worried now. Haha.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Was nervous but went ahead and shot my 41mag reloads. My recipe worked very well and the recoil was much more manageable compared to factory 41 loads. Accuracy was decent. And brass doesn’t seem to show any high pressure signs.

Latest posts

Top Bottom