Question...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Here are the reload recipes from Alliant for the Sport Pistol powder that I will be using.

https://www.alliantpowder.com/reloa...wderlist.aspx&type=1&powderid=42&cartridge=23

The Xtreme 115gr plated bullets are not included in the chart. The lowest max charge for 115gr jacketed is 4.7gr.

Since plated bullets should be loaded ~.2gr less that jacketed, and it is recommended to start at 10% less than max, I'm thinking that 4.0gr of the SP is a good starting point.

Does that make sense or am I totally off here? Thanks.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have my press mounted to a board which I clamp to my desk with C clamps when I want to reload. Really doesn't take much room, use the kitchen table if that is all you have. The clamps only touch the board and the underside of the table, won't mess up anything you can see.
That's what I did when I was reloading--the press was bolted to a length of 2x4, which I then clamped to my desk. Cheap and easy...

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here are the reload recipes from Alliant for the Sport Pistol powder that I will be using.

https://www.alliantpowder.com/reloa...wderlist.aspx&type=1&powderid=42&cartridge=23

The Xtreme 115gr plated bullets are not included in the chart. The lowest max charge for 115gr jacketed is 4.7gr.

Since plated bullets should be loaded ~.2gr less that jacketed, and it is recommended to start at 10% less than max, I'm thinking that 4.0gr of the SP is a good starting point.

Does that make sense or am I totally off here? Thanks.
Since those Xtreme plated need to be loaded basically the same as cast/coated bullets. You can use their load data for the Acme coated 115gr RN as your starting off point and develop further from there. You could load a 4.0, but that's pretty low. On the Alliant website, they only show the max load. An excellent reference is ShootersReference.com. Specifically, take a look at:

https://www.shootersreference.com/reloadingdata/9-mm-luger/

It shows 4.2 min to 4.7 max for that load. I remember testing SP with Xtreme 115gr's and I found a sweet spot at 4.3 to 4.4 grains. Your mileage may vary, but keep within the published load data, especially when beginning. If you find yourself seating much deeper than the published COAL, back off your charge a bit and work your way up.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Since those Xtreme plated need to be loaded basically the same as cast/coated bullets. You can use their load data for the Acme coated 115gr RN as your starting off point and develop further from there. You could load a 4.0, but that's pretty low. On the Alliant website, they only show the max load. An excellent reference is ShootersReference.com. Specifically, take a look at:

https://www.shootersreference.com/reloadingdata/9-mm-luger/

It shows 4.2 min to 4.7 max for that load. I remember testing SP with Xtreme 115gr's and I found a sweet spot at 4.3 to 4.4 grains. Your mileage may vary, but keep within the published load data, especially when beginning. If you find yourself seating much deeper than the published COAL, back off your charge a bit and work your way up.
Great! Thanks for the info.

At first I was thinking of starting at 4.2 but just to be safe I thought I might drop down to 4.0, but the way you explained it makes sense. I wasn't sure if I could substitute plated for coated on the chart.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

At first I was thinking of starting at 4.2 but just to be safe I thought I might drop down to 4.0, but the way you explained it makes sense. I wasn't sure if I could substitute plated for coated on the chart.
That's what I was told when I got into plated bullets. It has served me well. Just start out with the min published charge and work your way up. Shouldn't have any issues. Just go slow, stay focused, and keep good records.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

You need to be careful about going under the minimum powder charge. Back in the late '80s or early '90s, one of the gun rags ran an article on reloads blowing up guns, and the culprit was determined to be too little powder in the case. The theory was that the low powder charge allowed the touchhole to become exposed, which allowed the primer's flame to spread across a much larger area. As a result, instead of getting a progressive ignition of the powder and a "slow" rise in pressure, you got an ignition across a much larger surface, a much sharper pressure spike, and a big badda boom.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
You need to be careful about going under the minimum powder charge. Back in the late '80s or early '90s, one of the gun rags ran an article on reloads blowing up guns, and the culprit was determined to be too little powder in the case. The theory was that the low powder charge allowed the touchhole to become exposed, which allowed the primer's flame to spread across a much larger area. As a result, instead of getting a progressive ignition of the powder and a "slow" rise in pressure, you got an ignition across a much larger surface, a much sharper pressure spike, and a big badda boom.
I recently read about the possibility of that happening. Woulda never thunk it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom