Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Second on the revolver with speed loaders or moon clips and a tray like this for both the range and nightstand.

download (2).jpeg

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Manipulating a semi auto with one hand is actually pretty easy. We did drills for that a lot at the PD so we'd know what to do in the event of an injury that incapacitated an arm/hand.

There's information on various techniques out there. Start with a search and watch some videos. I wouldn't lock myself into a type of gun until I got a lot more info if I was you. Keep an open mind and figure out what will work for you.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Try holding the cylinder open on a revolver and put the speedloader rounds in and releasing the rounds with one hand. It ain't easy. Like OK Corgi Ranger, I've done one hand drills with semiautos, and it isn't too difficult. We trained like we were in a shooting on the street where you dropped the empty mag and used your weak side underarm or between the knees to hold the gun while you reloaded with working hand.

Last edited:

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Practice practice practice

Find a class or go to range and find and instructor. Try several types, sizes and calibers
See what YOU like.

I would say a revolver, but I am not you.

Chaparral

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My basic instinct is wheel gun, revolver with swing out cylinder. However you should see if you can load and wrack a semiautomatic. Either will be slow and you will likely need to learn to use your leges/knees in order to hold and then load. Do you have an operational prosthetic? This could help factor in the better solution. Being in ca will severely limit your choices and options.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Everything must be california compliant. Keep that in mind with your recommendations.

Before a handgun can be sold in California, it must pass a series of tests to ensure the gun is “safe” for users. While the general law seems to ignore what most gun owners already know -- that safety is inherently a mindset first and foremost – California lawmakers put the onus of safety on the gun maker to display.

• The manufacturer must submit three unmodified handguns to an independent testing laboratory, certified by the California Attorney General.
  • The laboratory must fire 600-rounds of ammunition from each gun, stopping at specified intervals. These intervals include stopping after each 50-rounds for 5 to 10 minutes to let the gun cool down and stopping after each 100-rounds to check for loose screws and routine cleaning. Of course, the testing facility must also cease-fire to refill magazines along the way.
  • Each of the three models submitted to the laboratory must fire the first 20-rounds of ammunition without a single malfunction that is not due to ammo.
  • Each of the three models submitted must also have no more than six malfunctions during the entire course of 600-rounds fired, that is not due to ammunition. The handgun must be free of cracks or breakages to operating parts of the handgun that increase the user's risk of injury.
  • After the successful passing of the above live-fire tests, the laboratory then puts the gun through a series of drop safety tests to ensure the gun doesn’t fire if accidentally dropped.
  • The same three handguns will be subjected to a series of six drop tests each with a primed case, no powder or projectile inserted into the chamber. The handgun passes this test if every one of the guns does not “fire the primer.”
Once the gun has passed all tests, it is deemed a “safe handgun” and allowed entry on to the roster. It should be noted that a manufacturer must submit every gun they intend to offer on the roster, even if there are only slight cosmetic changes that don’t affect the function of the gun. For example, four Smith & Wesson Shield 9mm pistols were added to the roster in 2020, all of which had to be tested separately. The only difference between them was the color of the gun.

WHAT MAKES A HANDGUN 'UNSAFE' IN CALIFORNIA?​

As stated above, what makes a handgun unsafe is inherently the user of the firearm; however, California instituted additional requirements to ensure the gun’s “safety.” All handguns must meet the below qualifications.

• No capacity over 10 rounds
  • Any center-fired handgun manufactured after January 1, 2006, must have a loaded chamber indicator or a magazine disconnect mechanism.
  • Any rimfire handgun manufactured after January 1, 2006, must have a magazine disconnect mechanism, if it has a detachable magazine.
  • Any center-fired handgun manufactured after January 1, 2007, must have both a loaded chamber indicator and a magazine disconnect mechanism if the handgun has a detachable magazine.

Last edited:

Uncle TK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sarres I have to tell you this Base Ball Story
One of our team member's dad (Mr. Huffma) was a WW2 Vet and loved to hit infield practice.
When he hit infield practice, he did not use a catcher for the infielders to throw the ball to, we threw it back to him.
It also stressed that for us to throw the ball back as hard and quick as we could.
He was missing is left arm from about 3 inches below the elbow.
He put his glove under his arm between his armpit and elbow.
He would hold the bat and ball in his right hand.
He would throw the ball up and hit it with the bat.
His swing would bring the bat to his side and he would hold it with the 3 inches below the elbow arm against his chest
Reach up and put his hand in the glove without dropping the bat and catch the ball as it was thrown home.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Revolver first choice if your set on a semi than my wife and found the Walther ccp easier to work the slide and lower recoil compared to the s&w ez series

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dunno if you can get it in CA, but an AR pistol with a SIG brace would be right up your alley. The dual-stack, dual-feed magazine is going to be the easiest thing to load one-handed (plus, they can be loaded using stripper clips), and the SIG brace is going to give you a solid grip while firing one-handed.

The hardest part about one-handing a semi-auto is loading the single-feed magazines that most of them use. Most instructors have drills for one-handed operation and reloading of the pistol itself (I've seen Kyle Lamb at VTAC and Tim Kennedy at Sheepdog Response, among others, demonstrate them on YouTube), so I'd think that would be pretty much a non-issue, if not an advantage over wheelguns.

mgssamn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Training is key that was said in beginning. But there are good discussion for revolver or semi auto.
Personally I would go with the semi auto first because of the capacity. If you are prone to go with a compact like a g43 that only holds 6 in mag, maybe a 9mm or 38spl revolver would be just about as good.

Latest posts

Top Bottom