Questions concerning IDPA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CorpsVet

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am interested in exploring IDPA in the Tulsa area. I have been reading some websites and watching some youtube vids.

My EDC is a Sig P6, and my BUG is a Beretta 1934. I also have a Sig P220, but don't carry it as a general rule.

Would these pistols meet the regs for competition? Is/are there a club(s) in the Tulsa area and should I join through one of them or just online?

How do I go about shooting the "classifier"?

I am overweight and 70, so it is hard for me to stand for long periods of time, is seating available for the periods between actual shooting, or should I bring something like a folding chair?

I'm sure I will have more questions in the future, but hopefully these answers will get me started.

Thanks

SoonerShots

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm an IDPA member, they're specific rules around size and weights of guns and they can be found on the IDPA website. I know that there are at least two clubs that host IDPA shoots. These are Oil Capital Rod and gun club (1st and 4th Saturday's) and United States shooting academy (second Saturday of the month).

You do Not have to be a member of either club to shoot IDPA. Your entry fee will be slightly higher. I've shot both clubs IDPA and each hosts quality events. However as far as seating is concerned, I'd say that Oil Capital has a few more opportunities to take a load off with benches in which to rest.

I encourage you to come out and shoot either club, you'd be welcome, and I'm sure you'd have a good time. We just shot a classifier this last Saturday at Oil Capital. You wouldn't have to be classified to shoot either, you can do that later too.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You need a pistol, strong side holster, either IWB or OWB, 3 mags min, holder for two, 3 boxes of ammo, concealment garment, eye and ear protection.
First time, go early and get a safety orientation.
Don't worry about joining anything until you try it.
It would be good to read the first 20 pages of the IDPA rules. They will put you in the correct division at the match.
Either of your sigs will work.
You picked a heck of a month to start in this heat, but Oil Capitol has benches, some shade and water available.

CorpsVet

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Would a double stack 9mm, such as a S&W 659, be better than the P6? I would like to shoot what I carry but if I can find a holster for the 659 would it be a better choice. At this point I'm not looking to be "competitive" just tired of standing and shooting a fixed target for an afternoon.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A S&W 659 could work. I am the match director at Oil Capital. Follow these links to get some more general info http://www.ocrgc.com/?q=node/394

We have competitors aged between 15 and 75+; you'll fit in just fine.

When it's hot I put out bulk cold water on every bay. In addition to having ample fixed covered seating I have four big 13 x 13' pop up tents to put near the stages. I slide a picnic table under the tent. Keeps shooters comfortable and able to focus on their shooting.

Latest posts

Top Bottom