Questions on Lexington - Targets?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's great that you guys are offering to help maintain these ranges. I was involved with the engineering of the range improvements and the new range constructions around the state. The local WMA Biologist would be the person to contact. They usually handle all activities at their assigned WMA. You can get his name and number from the ODWC website. If that doesn't work, I can privately give someone the name and number of the ODWC person who is coordinating all the range improvements and new construction.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's great that you guys are offering to help maintain these ranges. I was involved with the engineering of the range improvements and the new range constructions around the state. The local WMA Biologist would be the person to contact. They usually handle all activities at their assigned WMA. You can get his name and number from the ODWC website. If that doesn't work, I can privately give someone the name and number of the ODWC person who is coordinating all the range improvements and new construction.
Thanks a bunch.

I found the local biologist's info from the website. I'll reach out to to if something can be put together.

Joseph Nabonne
405-823-8714

rswink

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I go there I assume some responsibility and make sure that no one is on the range when it is hot.
I call out loudly to hold your fire and make sure everyone is cooperating.
I may be a loudmouth but it keeps the place safer and makes people feel more at ease.

Some people do not want to interact but so far everyone that has been on the line with me has been very nice and safe.
I do have one friend that meets me there sometimes and his attention span is short and you must stay on top of him.
He is not used to others being there.. I sure make him aware of it and keep it all safe.
I do the same things, just seem to become the RSO by default if nobody else is. Been doing this for over 30 years so I don't think it'll be changing any time soon.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Brother Bob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It’s not Ben, it’s Bob. Typo Tom? LOL. With this Covid-19 pandemic going on, we’re having issues maintaining our ranges. We have too many trying to destroy the ranges at this time. We’re in the process of putting up cameras and catching those with I’ll intent. Fines will start at roughly $350 to forfeiture of vehicles, firearms, and jail time. I work those three ranges and I assure you that if you get caught shooting holes through support beams, awnings, and signage, you will rue the day! We will also do “Stings” where Game Wardens will be dressed just like you! Don’t be that guy, or girl that has to pay until your eyes bleed! The ODWC is under no mandate to provide you with shooting ranges. If they continue to be destroyed, I’m sure the powers that be will shut them down! By the way, the total expenditure of the three ranges in Lexington was well over $350,000! Less than a penny of your Hunting License went into that! And another thing while I’m at it, no food products or liquids in the garbage cans! Anyone caught will be in deep Doodoo with me! We have to go through the garbage bags and search the trash to make sure there’s no explosives or live rounds. We reuse thaw bags as they are very expensive. Two of the garbage cans are metal. They will rust out if liquids continue to be thrown in them. I’ve removed poop, food, and dirty diapers from those cans that would gag a maggot! Another thing. No targets placed into the ground! If I catch you shooting into the ground, I’m calling my Game Warden! Either use the mats that we’ve provided or leave! No plastic, glass, or cardboard! If you have an issue with this, call the headquarters! Our rules are clearly posted. If you have no regard for them, I suggest you leave! We’re going to zero tolerance!

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good to know Bob.
I must have broken the rules as I did place clays at 100 yards on the berm and shot them.
I will assume that is a NO NO.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It’s not Ben, it’s Bob. Typo Tom? LOL. With this Covid-19 pandemic going on, we’re having issues maintaining our ranges. We have too many trying to destroy the ranges at this time. We’re in the process of putting up cameras and catching those with I’ll intent. Fines will start at roughly $350 to forfeiture of vehicles, firearms, and jail time. I work those three ranges and I assure you that if you get caught shooting holes through support beams, awnings, and signage, you will rue the day! We will also do “Stings” where Game Wardens will be dressed just like you! Don’t be that guy, or girl that has to pay until your eyes bleed! The ODWC is under no mandate to provide you with shooting ranges. If they continue to be destroyed, I’m sure the powers that be will shut them down! By the way, the total expenditure of the three ranges in Lexington was well over $350,000! Less than a penny of your Hunting License went into that! And another thing while I’m at it, no food products or liquids in the garbage cans! Anyone caught will be in deep Doodoo with me! We have to go through the garbage bags and search the trash to make sure there’s no explosives or live rounds. We reuse thaw bags as they are very expensive. Two of the garbage cans are metal. They will rust out if liquids continue to be thrown in them. I’ve removed poop, food, and dirty diapers from those cans that would gag a maggot! Another thing. No targets placed into the ground! If I catch you shooting into the ground, I’m calling my Game Warden! Either use the mats that we’ve provided or leave! No plastic, glass, or cardboard! If you have an issue with this, call the headquarters! Our rules are clearly posted. If you have no regard for them, I suggest you leave! We’re going to zero tolerance!

I haven’t had the chance to go shoot at Lexington yet, but plan on doing so soon. I understand we can shoot clay targets, but reading this, it seems that shooting at them on the ground with a pistol or 22LR rifle is not allowed? Pardon my not quite clearly understanding the rules yet, I will read them as posted there and adhere. Are we only to shoot at paper targets stapled or taped to the target holders? I just want to basically be able to shoot my 22 rifle at a greater distance than my local indoor range offers, which is just 25 yards. Thanks in advance for clarifying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rswink

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@Brother Bob would you mind settling some questions then?

So, shooting at Clay's on the back berms?

Shooting at Clay's on those little wire rings that you place in the ground?

Shooting loose Clay's sitting on the ground?

Shooting self healing target balls on the ground?

My wife got yelled at by a jerk 1 time for sitting on the concrete between the tables to try shooting her 22LR, so she sat same way on the new tables, he yelled at her again. GW made him leave after we told them that was why we were leaving. But, I forgot to ask if she was okay in doing this.

I know they have sank a lot of funds into the area and I sure appreciate it. The only thing my wife was wanting was a toilet, but you cannot get everything you want in life.

rswink

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven’t had the chance to go shoot at Lexington yet, but plan on doing so soon. I understand we can shoot clay targets, but reading this, it seems that shooting at them on the ground with a pistol or 22LR rifle is not allowed? Pardon my not quite clearly understanding the rules yet, I will read them as posted there and adhere. Are we only to shoot at paper targets stapled or taped to the target holders? I just want to basically be able to shoot my 22 rifle at a greater distance than my local indoor range offers, which is just 25 yards. Thanks in advance for clarifying.

When you want to go?

Last edited by a moderator:

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When you want to go?

Would like to hear back with answers to the questions first. I live in yukon; don’t really want to drive out there to shoot a piece of paper at 50-100 yards then wait for cease fire to walk down and check my shots. If they allow us to shoot clays like you said, then immediate feedback is there...if you hit them anyway.

I went to the website and couldn’t find the rules. Found a picture of the rules sign, but couldn’t make it out, it’s too small and I couldn’t enlarge the pic.

Latest posts

Top Bottom