Questions on registering an SBR (AR lower, length, caliber ect)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DUKnCVR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to do my paperwork to SBR a lower. My questions are

1. If I file for a 10.5 inch 5.56 barrel, can I put any length I want afterwords as long as it's at least 10.5 inches.

2. If I want to add other calibers (I.e. 300blk 22lr), as long as I list them on my form can I use any barrel length that's 10.5 inches and greater?

3. Would it be best to register as short as possible? I don't plan on going below a 10.5 inch barrel on any cal.

Sorry if it's been covered but most topics are just SBR? And I couldn't find what I'm looking for searching. Thanks for the feedback

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1. Length only matters for original configuration. You can go longer or shorter but need to notify the ATF if there is a permanent change to the configuration. Example, you register as a 10.5" but have uppers in 10.5", 12.5", and 8". If you were to sell the 10.5" upper, you would need to notify the ATF of the change to either 12.5" or 8" since you could technically no longer configure the rifle in the way the Form 1 was approved.

2. Pretty much the same process for the length applies to caliber. Can have multiple uppers in different calibers and only need to notify if there is a permanent change. Important: DO NOT list more than one caliber or use 'MULTI' as that will get the application sent into error status
further delaying the already long process or it could be disapproved and you'll have to start over at the back of the line, in the case of eForms, if ever brought back on line.

3. Answered above

Feel free to ask any other questions you have.

Latest posts

Top Bottom