Quick turnaround barrel chop in Tulsa?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had two guns threaded for a suppressor by a local gunsmith, it appears the threads are too long. They threaded about 3/4" of the barrel and it appears to be bottoming out on the blast baffle, not the base of the silencer.
Of course, I'm supposed to leave on the annual Prairie Dog trip on Thursday...and that's what I was supposed to be using on this trip.
Blast baffle is .52x deep and the threads are .72x long...so I need about .3 or so trimmed off and the barrels crowned.
Yay for paying twice!!!

Guns are a Bmag and a 93V17

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well this is sounding familiar...

"Many gun companies and gunsmiths make a common mistake and thread .22 LR barrels at AR-15 thread lengths. Most .22 silencers on the market will not shoulder correctly on AR-15 thread length."

Looks like it happens enough that Silencerco sells a spacer to bandaid the issue.
https://silencerco.com/shop/delta-threaded-rifle-spacer-1-2-28/

I'd still prefer to not use an adapter/spacer...so would still like to know if anybody can fix this locally.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Grab a thread protector off of a Ruger 22/45 Lite or similar. It is about that thickness (.23-.30??) and it's knurled anodized aluminum and will look good. I bet if you called Ruger and tell them why you need it, they will send it to you for little or nothing.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Grab a thread protector off of a Ruger 22/45 Lite or similar. It is about that thickness (.23-.30??) and it's knurled anodized aluminum and will look good. I bet if you called Ruger and tell them why you need it, they will send it to you for little or nothing.

The thread protector on mine appears to have a little lip on it that would prevent something from being threaded completely through it.

I can get one of those Silencerco spacers locally on Monday and work on a proper fix when I get home. Glad I checked before I left!

Latest posts

Top Bottom