Quick update

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just got home from a visit with another surgeon that's a close friend. He works in the same hospital and is one of the most highly respected heart surgeons in the State.
Got my wife and his nurse out of the patient room. Just me and him. Know he would be honest and open in that environment and he was.
Went through all the labs, scans, pre/post surgery notes and findings, pictures of the lung and cancer outside of chest (I have a copy if someone wants to see my lung....yuck.) Every piece of information on my condition and treatment.
He was very concerned about the multiple surgeries I had to have but he understood why, and that was to keep me alive...period. I explained how I refused to have any further operations that required cracking open my ribs from the rear. If they can't do in by trachea, it ain't happening. After I vented and stuck my chest out and felt all macho, he asked if I was done? Then he proceeded to tell me the following.
One, my cancer as not the size of a couple of ping pong balls. It was the size of two clenched fist. It was not small. It had adhered to the vent and most surgeons would have just closed and turned over to the cancer guys to plan your funeral. But he didn't. He a top flight surgeon that I was lucky to get.
He said I have a great chance to beat this. Better than most and odds on favorite to come out clean. This, of course, will only work if I learn to shut up and do what I'm told (see....only a friend would talk to you like that). So if he wants to open you up again, let him.
He told me how lucky I am to the condition of my other lung and my overall condition prior to this happening. He said my BP today was 112/62 HR 54 and O2 99%. I'm a luck guy so don't screw it up. He added that if I choose to be a brick, don't come back to him. He see's too many people with zero chances everyday, so if I throw that away, forget him as Dr and a friend.
He said he will go to my funeral...Ha!.
Anyway, tomorrow begins a new focus. Keep my mouth shut and do as I'm told. Start my workouts tomorrow at a normal pace and not overdo. Be a better patient and husband. I've been too busy telling my doctor what I expect and how quickly I expect it. My wife has been working her ass off to make sure I eat, take my meds and I swear if I dropped a tissue, she'd grab it before it hit the floor. She worries when I don't follow Dr's orders and she knows I overdo everything. This stresses her and that is going to stop.
Anyway, had to get that all off my chest. Hopefully I can close this post soon and see you guys at a shoot or just make a road trip to come visit you guys that have been so nice. (don't forget I have a prius. All I have to do is drive by a gas station and that's good for half a tank.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not going to claim I do every little detail the doctors want me to... but generally speaking, I feel like I pay them a lot of money for advice, and it wouldn't make sense to ignore it.

I hope your treatments are successful, and they don't HAVE to do that kind of surgery on you.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
HOT DAMN! I am so glad to hear this! You're gonna beat this $h1t! I'm gonna get down there to see ya' - I think you owe me something ... I don't know what, or what for ... but something. Gotta stop for now. My glasses are fogging over or sumpthin.

(can't believe you'd drive a Prius)

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
HOT DAMN! I am so glad to hear this! You're gonna beat this $h1t! I'm gonna get down there to see ya' - I think you owe me something ... I don't know what, or what for ... but something. Gotta stop for now. My glasses are fogging over or sumpthin.

(can't believe you'd drive a Prius)
It's a tactical Prius.

Latest posts

Top Bottom