Raccoon Vs Yote

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Full-grown 'coons are tough customers.

The best dog I ever had was a Collie/Shepherd mix (near as I could tell anyway) when I was probably 9-10 yrs old until I was 18. I named him "Spot" after the first-grade readers (lol, "see Spot run" etc.). I always had a warped sense of humor.

Sharp as a tack, and would only bark when something was out of whack (one night he woke us up because the brake-lights on Dad's '65 Ford pickup were on). Loved people, but was meaner than a junkyard dog regarding other animals. Probably weighed 40-50lbs.

One evening we had company over, and Spot started barking after dark. We went outside, and Spot had "treed" a large 'coon on top of a front tire of Dad's F-350.

Dad poked the 'coon off the front tire, and the battle was on. You could sic Spot on just about anything, and we kept on encouraging him.

The fight went on for probably a half hour. Spot was so tired that when he'd back up for another attack, he'd occassionally fall on his side for a few seconds. But he finally managed to kill the 'coon.

Our company that night was an older gentleman and his wife. They took the 'coon home to eat. :D

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On opening day for deer holiday anterless my buddy walked to his stand and on the path was a coon leg.
HHHMMM no one around trapping or killing coons on or near this property.
Few hours later he walked down the same path and the leg was gone.

About then I was in a tree and seen a coyote come out of the woods across from my buddies spot.
He kept looking behind him.
I busted him with the .243.. No coon leg but maybe he had a buddy in there with the leg.

There was a coon in a barrel at Hollywood Corner many many years ago and a sign above the barrel that said anyone that has a dog that can get the coon out of the barrel gets $100 I do not remember the price as the story was told to me.

Many Pit bulls came yelping out of that barrel.. can't fight a coon in a barrel.. coon would not come out after the dog split the scene.
This guy rolls up and sees the sigh and asked the owner if the sigh was fact.. YEP! any dog that gets the coon out of the barrel.
This guy tosses his poodle into the barrel.

YEOW!! that poodle shot right back out of that barrel and the coon came out after it.. I guess the coon figured he could whop that one out of the barrel.
There was some dispute but the guy got the money.
No idea if the story is true or not as it was told to me by a guy that said he was there..eeehhh.

I would set the skinned out deboned coon meat on a rack in the pressure cooker with some creole seasoning sprinkled on top.
After cooking I would slice it and do some pulling on the strands like pulled pork and cover and mix in some BBQ sauce to make chopped BBQ sammiches :)
Mustard and pickles on my sammich.

Latest posts

Top Bottom