Racking or slamming an empty 1911 slide

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Right. And like using the Slide Lock as a release is not going to round off the edges of some pistols eventually causing it fail to lock back.

I’ve done it that way for over forty years. No problems YET. Not to say it can’t or won’t, but it hasn’t in my case.

If I were shooting on a daily basis, I’m sure there would be some obvious metal to metal wear on all the parts.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know. I just really don't know. But, y'all just send all of them pistols to me for safe keeping. I promise I won't rack no slides, nor dry fire anything. Really. I won't.

RLSanders

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From what I’ve seen and read, it’s not wrong to do it if the slide is actually pushing a round but is not good when the clip is empty or absent.

But I am probably the least knowledgeable person on here.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a Springfield 1911 with 25 years of service on it with the first 5 years shooting IPSC and a lot of practice ammo use. I've dropped the slide while dry using the slide stop thousands of times without any adverse wear on the slide stop. How many times do you do a mag drop/chamber inspection for an RSO in matches through years of competition and shooting? A buddy has a Colt National Match with about the same mileage and wear and his is still about the sweetest shooting 1911 I've ever shot.

This reminds me of the argument about not single feeding rifles with a claw extractor.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I’ve done it that way for over forty years. No problems YET. Not to say it can’t or won’t, but it hasn’t in my case.

If I were shooting on a daily basis, I’m sure there would be some obvious metal to metal wear on all the parts.

Your P22 got rounded off on the slide lock tab. That was cheap pot metal though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom