Racking or slamming an empty 1911 slide

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When you initially load the pistol, do you have the trigger pulled to the rear? Do you ride the slide forward? I hope not.

When someone has their mind made up about something like this, no amount of evidence to the contrary will change that. If you want to treat your firearms like delicate flowers that might possibly, if the moon is in the right phase and you stand on one leg, maybe could break; go for it. Do what you want with your own guns, I don't care.

The part I care about is when people - who are merely parroting something they saw on Youtube and operating on feelings - want to badmouth and trash talk gun owners who do not subscribe to their version of what seems right.
The 1911 was absolutely designed and engineered to operate to allow the slide to go forward under its own power without damaging itself - whether chambering a live round or not.
If you think the typical 1911 being sold today is 100% what JMB “designed and engineered” you’re fooling yourself

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thereis a difference between a 1911 slide slamming forward while cycling (ie firing), and racking or dropping the slide from slide lock and the slide coming down on an empty chamber.
A couple of you mostly understand that

Apparently so.

When you initially load the pistol, do you have the trigger pulled to the rear? Do you ride the slide forward? I hope not.

Of course not.

When someone has their mind made up about something like this, no amount of evidence to the contrary will change that. If you want to treat your firearms like delicate flowers that might possibly, if the moon is in the right phase and you stand on one leg, maybe could break; go for it. Do what you want with your own guns, I don't care.

The part I care about is when people - who are merely parroting something they saw on Youtube and operating on feelings - want to badmouth and trash talk gun owners who do not subscribe to their version of what seems right.
The 1911 was absolutely designed and engineered to operate to allow the slide to go forward under its own power without damaging itself - whether chambering a live round or not.

Ease up @EKing, nobody is badmouthing or trash talking anybody; this is simply a discussion. But, sir, you do seem to be guilty of exactly what you said above; if someone disagrees with you, you get hot about it? Come on, this is just a discussion. Let's just discuss, maybe all of us can gain something from it

I was always taught not to let the slide slam home on an empty chamber, when speaking about the 1911 platform. I was also taught to run the slide on a 1911 by hand when dry firing rather than just cocking the hammer and then pulling the trigger. Now; if you want to do other wise, by all means, be my guest. But again; this is just a discussion; there's no need to turn it into an argument. If you have something other than your expert opinion on doing it differently, like a substantial link from a noted gunsmith, please share it with us. I'll start by sharing a link to a guy's thoughts on this who has a bit more experience than me:

https://www.10-8performance.com/pages/1911-User's-Guide.html

In the link above, Hilton Yam, a well-known authority on the 1911 says this:
"...Always ease the slide down on an empty chamber, never slam it shut from slide lock. A G.I. rack grade 1911 may do fine when you slam the slide on the empty chamber, but a gun with a tuned trigger and fitted barrel will do better without it. The jarring of the slide slamming down on an empty chamber can cause the hammer to follow and the sear nose to crash into the hammer hooks. Your trigger job will last longer if you ease the slide down. Further, the lower lugs on a match fit barrel take a lot of impact when they contact the slide stop, and without the buffering effect of the round feeding into the chamber, you increase wear on your barrel by slamming the slide on an empty chamber. It's not the end of the world if the slide drops on an empty chamber, but it's not a good habit to develop either. It is the sign of an amateur 1911 handler.

Thumb cocking the hammer can sometimes result in the hammer slipping out from under the thumb and falling to half cock. Some hammers are designed with a half cock notch that protects the sear nose, but many do not. Excessive crashing of the sear nose into the half cock notch will degrade your trigger job"

Not good enough? Try this one from sightm1911.com:
http://sightm1911.com/lib/tech/drop_slide_empty.htm

To quote from this link: "

... "dropping the slide on an empty chamber with a 1911 style pistol can damage a quality trigger job, and therefore the slide should be eased forward. Two questions: (A) Why does it do that? (Or maybe HOW does it do that?) and, (B) Why doesn’t it do it if there is a round in the chamber?

It does it because when the slide slams home on an empty chamber it jolts the entire gun, bouncing the sear engagement point on the hammer face, which is the area that you just paid to have polished to a mirror surface. When the gun is picking up a cartridge (loading from the magazine) the slide is slowed considerably and this reduces the impact and thus reduces the jarring effect on the hammer/sear interface"...

So maybe on a stock gun, with a stock trigger, it won 't cause any real issue, but I for one, see NO REASON to take a chance and possibly damage my sear/hammer or any other parts and I certainly do not want to show signs of being an amateur. Why? Because I am not.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, that explains it. All I've ever had were stock GI 45's which I had to sell for the family to eat way back when.
I shall be more careful now of the fragile upper crusted 1911's.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ask the IPSC old timers with 2# triggers on soft sears how they used to load and make ready

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom