Racking or slamming an empty 1911 slide

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't give you a link but the Sringfield Armory owners manual is on line for the 1911-1A pistol.
Page 20 is devoted to "unloading." They have a big italicized paragraph that warns against slaming the slide home unassisted on an empty chamber with these pistols. That doesn't just mean extra fancy customized pistols, it means all of them.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've looked for printed material out there on this issue in the past and it seems to be the unanimous view among manufacturers that this is an unsound practice and I'll just take their advice.
But you just have to look at the pros and cons. Assisting the slide down with your hand makes you look a lot less cool. And all us cool guys know you gotta look cool to be cool.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would imagine that if dropping the slide on an empty chamber were overly detrimental, there would be more evidence of the damage caused. How many competition guns have 10,000 - 20,000+ rounds through them without issue after being modified to not lock back?

There is unneeded stress and wear added to the sear, barrel lugs, and slide stop, but how much more than during live fire is likely not all that appreciable. Regardless, I don't practice it and wouldn't ever advocate it. As others have said it comes off as poor handling...much like cowboying a revolver.

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
While it’s probably not ideal, and with repeated and excessive action would likely accelerate wear somewhat.... I don’t see it being a problem in any realistic scenario. As had been said in this thread, if racking the slide on an empty chamber breaks your gun, please let the manufacture know and let us know as well because something is WRONG with it.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an idea.

Instead of whether or not it is harmful to the gun, wear from metal on metal is wear. Wear from handling a gun is wear. I was looking at the factory engraving on a shotgun that was put up for sale here a few days ago. You can see the engraving is not as deep in the area it was carried by human hands or gloved hands. It was factory deep where it was not handled. This can only be explained physically by the years of human hands wearing off microscopic bits of metal over the years.

I found the gun I'm talking about.

20190913_160533_resized-jpg.142905

Adding to the wear of a gun by persons not owning the gun but showing it for an opportunity for future sale by not handling it gently can physically add to the wear however small.

Why not just adopt the practice as semi automatic handgun etiquette? Just like not slamming a cylinder being revolver etiquette?

Junk Yard Dog

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guys I think it comes down to this, if it is a prissy, target, only used at the range in good weather conditions and stored in a fussy gun rug 1911, ease the slide down.

If a combat, drop in the mud, piss on it to clean, fired in all weather conditions, manly 1911, let it fly.

If Glock gets around to making a 1911, give it a binkie and tuck it in.

^This^ is my take on the whole issue. You mileage may vary.

Latest posts

Top Bottom