Radar Detectors

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I use waze and it’s pretty good about police notic

Does Waze work well in Rural areas. My commute will be from Tulsa to Mcalester on a daily basis and will also be used on vacation road trips and out to Stillwater when we visit my son at campus. I tend to keep my speed jsut at or above in the city limits. I jsut know how approaches to small towns in OK can be with LEOs and speed traps.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does Waze work well in Rural areas. My commute will be from Tulsa to Mcalester on a daily basis and will also be used on vacation road trips and out to Stillwater when we visit my son at campus. I tend to keep my speed jsut at or above in the city limits. I jsut know how approaches to small towns in OK can be with LEOs and speed traps.

You'll have to slow down when you come to small towns no matter what you use from my experience. I used to drive all over OK every day, I get it, but in the end, you're just better slowing down when you get to small towns. Unless you just feel like you want to help their involuntary fund raising events. I drove 5-10 over at times on longer stretches, used Waze, and I had no issues.

Last edited:

Steelmonkey

New to the site!
Reaction score
When I use Google maps it tells me if the police are using a radar gun up ahead.
That's all fine and well, I do this too but I seen in a few instances wheres idiots will abuse the notifications. The "Speed Trap" icon will appear every mile or so, never seeing a single cop.

But by using the Google map and a good quality RD helps a lot.

Kstorm

New to the site!
Reaction score
Yes, radar detectors work well. I think the biggest concern is figuring out what kind of detector will benefit you the most. Do you want a detector that will filter out garage doors, blind spot monitors, and false alerts? Do you want a detector with extreme range that can pick up Okpd motors and undercover units running instant on radar? Personally, Valentine gen2, Uniden R3, or Uniden R7 are excellent choices for the Stalker Radar(34.7) used primarily in the state of Oklahoma.

As it has been noted in earlier posts, radar detectors are useless against lidar. Stalker XLR and Truspeed S guns are used primarily in Oklahoma. There's countermeasures for those as well though.

If you have an android phone, I highly suggest using JBv1. I found it better at reporting police reports vs. Waze.

Latest posts

Top Bottom