Rail Covers.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claricSTi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My new DD upper is going to arrive shortly and I will have some rail space that needs filling. I was wondering what the consensus on rail covers was. It seems the xtm is the go-to cover for most but I have heard that the xt covers were slimmer. I have also heard good things about the larue index clips but have never actually seen any in person.

Heat will definitely be an issue in the summer so the ladder style.covers might be out of the running.

Daryl Licht

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wouldn't call either the xt or xtm slim. I have the xt's on my gun and the wife has xtm's. I don't see a lot of difference size wise, but then again, both of these guns have vfg's on them and they are mainly just to cover the rails. Both guns are Colt 6940's and the rails on them might be a little fat as well. If the DD rail is slimmer than the Colt the xt's might work out for you. FWIW the xt's are a LOT easier to get on and off than the xtm's.

The index clips are a good looking option but I'm not sure how well they protect the hand from heat. They do offer a much smaller diameter foreend when installed though. I've toyed with the idea of ordering a set and giving them a try.

Ladder covers might protect the rail but for me offered no comfort in gripping the foreend at all.

Latest posts

Top Bottom