Rail length question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nimaro

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hopefully this makes sense, I've only had one cup of coffee this morning. I am down to picking out and buying the rail for my 9mm sbr and have just about settled on a Seekins SAR. My question is on the length of the rail, I have a 5" Tros barrel which will have an Octane 45 (Length: 8.5″) on it. Total length from the receiver is 13" if I did my math correctly. It is a three lug barrel but from what I have gathered the three lug adapter doesn't add to the overall length (https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=20&t=384253). So I can go with the 10" and have 3" exposed or the 12" and have 1" exposed. Does anyone have an opinion on which would be better and why? Does anyone have a picture of a similar setup? Educate me por favor. I've found a smokin deal on a 12" SAR but I'm not sure how 1" of the suppressor exposed will look.

Last edited:

SeanO

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1" of exposed suppressor IMHO looks awesome. If I were doing that's the way I would go. Just keep in mind that you'll need an easy way to unmount the suppressor, I have no experience with 3 lug so I can't give an opinion on it. A surefire QD brake and can is the way I would go due to previous experience and ease of removing the almost completely covered suppressor. YMMV and I'm sure someone else will chime in with more experience than me

Nimaro

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Searching the interwebs I see lots of pictures that are close to the look I want and people list the parts out but they don't always give the pertinent dimensions in the description :(

leemozoid

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is a 5" TROS 3 lug 9mm barrel with a YHM Wraith XL can (OAL 8.5"). The rail is about 7.5".

i272.photobucket.com_albums_jj195_leemozoid_20131219_142734_zps3479f6d7.jpg

Nimaro

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks zoid. I went ahead and picked up the 12" SAR i saw on ebay, got it for $185. I figure at that price if I don't like it it would be hard to loose money selling it and buying another since they are around $250 new but we shall see. Fingers crossed...

Latest posts

Top Bottom