1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Railroad ties

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TonyKane1, Nov 2, 2018.

1. NightShade

NightShade Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    May want to try something like rammed earth.

Basically make a form that will create the outside of the wall and an inside wall. Mix soil with some portland cement and then compact it between the forms. Move the form to a new section and repeat. The moisture in the air as well as any rain should help to set the soil to near concrete hardness and you can fill the inside area with loose soil if you like. Coat the exposed area's with a water repellent or a layer of portland and sand and they will last a long time. It will eventually brake down with shots directly to it but so will wood and concrete but the cost is pretty much "dirt" cheap.

http://www.yourhome.gov.au/materials/rammed-earth

2. dennishoddy

dennishoddy Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Same here. Talked to a RR guy I knew and he told me they had stacked ties along the RR so the farmers could pick them up for use.
    Got there a little late and the good ones had been picked over, but did manage to get a trailer load for a project.

3. TonyKane1

TonyKane1 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I recently drove by one of the tracks here in town and saw a bunch laying on the side of the tracks. They must have replaced a bunch. I have no idea who to contact though.

4. ssgrock3

ssgrock3 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    There is a place near 164th/Rockwell (might be meridian) but right near the round top historical church that sells them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. TonyKane1

TonyKane1 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    But for how much? If it is like Atwood’s it ain’t worth it.

6. ssgrock3

ssgrock3 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    It is called the rail yard. They are commodity, I would call and see quality levels and price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oklahomabassin likes this.
  7. John6185

John6185 Sharpshooter

Based on my experience, as a young fellow you can stack those half rotten RR ties and make a barrier to hold the earth behind them but as you age-and the RR ties do also, you'll have less-if any energy to replace the bad ties and they'll roll when you walk on them. I used old RR ties and Rebar to hold them in place and it wasn't easy. I think I'd use those concrete blocks that another poster mentioned. Even the home builders use them when they do a yard after building a home. They seem to hold up well, don't rot and the termites don't care for them at all. Do the job once and do it right and you won't have to redo the job. It may cost a little more but it's a one-time deal.

dennishoddy likes this.
  8. dennishoddy

dennishoddy Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Yep, they do rot finally which is why they are replaced by the RR on a regular basis. They become mushy and won't support the weight of a train.

9. NightShade

NightShade Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%

Well you would hope that they did and didn't decide to defer maintenance..... This stretch runs between Napoleon and Defiance Ohio.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018 at 12:28 AM
  10. dennishoddy

dennishoddy Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    That's freeking insane. I can't believe the feds that run the RR allow that.