Random pics & chatter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Long neck yellow figs in greenhouse.
IMG_20221118_160913888.jpg

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Conflicting intel, I bought red wigglers early this year and set them up in a bathtub where they thrived. I then spread them around, the raised beds and some of the greenhouse wicking tubs. Holy cow, they exploded in the wicking tubs.
It appears as though the tubs that have worms are not growing the seeds planted ? Many say they only eat decaying matter, others say they will eat some seeds. I'm leaning towards they eat seeds, or I'll at least blame them. So I'm now transplanting young plants to those tubs. On a good note worms are doing excellent, I wish they didn't taste so bad. 🤣.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This week got warm enough to open the bees. Lost a hive in the recent freeze:(
Looks like they had full stores so I'm gonna extract it. Second hive had minimal stores, colony was about softball sized, didn't see it at first, topped it off with sugar but doubt it will make it.

First season beekeeping in OK, having a hard time judging seasonal changes from what I'm use to. Also had my hives set up for max ventilation like a wet Northwest winter so maybe they got chilled.
IMG_20221208_105702.jpg
IMG_20221208_105517.jpg

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This week got warm enough to open the bees. Lost a hive in the recent freeze:(
Looks like they had full stores so I'm gonna extract it. Second hive had minimal stores, colony was about softball sized, didn't see it at first, topped it off with sugar but doubt it will make it.

First season beekeeping in OK, having a hard time judging seasonal changes from what I'm use to. Also had my hives set up for max ventilation like a wet Northwest winter so maybe they got chilled.View attachment 326965View attachment 326966
I need to pop mine open. I was very successful when I treated for varroa mites in August. I wanted to brood cycles before winter with low mite count. Last couple of years I got lazy and didn't treat for mites and had small clusters going into winter.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I need to pop mine open. I was very successful when I treated for varroa mites in August. I wanted to brood cycles before winter with low mite count. Last couple of years I got lazy and didn't treat for mites and had small clusters going into winter.
That could be my issue, I was gonna hit em with OAV but was unsure on timing ( and needed to order OA). I have always ran small cell foundation and screened bottom and have been ok without treatment before, but I was also running survivor stock/ Russian hybrids.

Latest posts

Top Bottom