Random question for airline pilots

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duncandl

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I did a successful "36 One-Month Tours" as a Recruiter for the Navy back in the Mid-90's (95-98) and there was more than a few dreams dashed by the physical requirement to get in the Military. A person could figure out how to get a high enough score on the ASVAB but once the Permanently Medically Rejected stamp hit their application it was a tough ride back home.

I would be honest with him and let him know that he has a million options in his quest to be a pilot but the Military is never an option, until it is one that a person has passed both tests. I know that sounds all crazy, but it is reality and every person I have shared that with tells me that their kid is in perfect shape, even the parents I brought their sons and daughters back home after getting that stamp.

I hope he sticks with it, I also think that the lull in Pilot hiring will come to an end and those who are ready and willing will get hired by someone. Hopefully this all helps you out with him, aviation in Oklahoma is huge and a great career.

badrinker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the replies.
Looks like his tentative plan will be to attend tulsa CC for his assoc degree in aeronautics-professional pilot while working on flight hours, then transfer to 1 of the universities for a BS degree in something related, but would also be his fall back career option. My wife works at a Drs office and is working on getting him a medical pass.

Aviator

Marksman
Reaction score
Looks like his tentative plan will be to attend tulsa CC for his assoc degree in aeronautics-professional pilot while working on flight hours, then transfer to 1 of the universities for a BS degree in something related, but would also be his fall back career option. My wife works at a Drs office and is working on getting him a medical pass.

Your son might find that subscribing to Avweb would be interesting. It’s a daily email (free) publication about anything new or current news in the aviation industry. It frequently has updates about flight schools and the outlook for pilot hiring.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
A lot of pilots have aeronautical engineering degrees.

I saw this in the weekly wipe.

airlanes are hiring with FFA.jpg

I don't think I would go this route.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

That's a good choice and Matt Wise runs a solid program. He's also an ATP for American and has been through the ups and downs of the industry. Make sure your son asks him questions whenever he has the chance!

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well it says our "airlanes" are hiring? Apply at the "nstitute"
Yeah, I don't know if it was the airlane representative that put the ad in online or the newspaper representative that did this. Probably the newspaper classified order taker that can't spell.

Latest posts

Top Bottom