Random question for airline pilots

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am still monitoring this thread, and thank you for your insight.
After showing him this thread, speaking with a couple of pilots, and lots of discussion, he's decided to attend TCC and get his associates degree in their professional pilot program, and start flight lessons at the same time. Once he completes his AD, he'll move on to a university (probably OSU) and complete his BS in engineering . By the time he's ready, surely this whole covid mess will be in the past.

Now the only question, where he should take flight lessons?

The ground school training and testing, as well as flight lessons will be built into the curriculum at TCC. They'll also arrange for DPE's for any required testing. If you're looking for a discovery flight, there are several options at RVS.

If he’s doing the professional pilot program at TCC, do they not have an agreement with a flight school or even have their own airplanes?

TCC is a certificated program with their own planes.

badrinker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The ground school training and testing, as well as flight lessons will be built into the curriculum at TCC. They'll also arrange for DPE's for any required testing. If you're looking for a discovery flight, there are several options at RVS.

Thank you!

TCC is a certificated program with their own planes.

aa5b

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Delta pilot here -

I would definitely major in something outside of aviation and learn to fly on the side. Do not get an aviation degree and put all of your eggs in one basket. Diversify and become a well rounded individual, that is what major airlines want to see, they do not care about where you learned how to fly. OSU and OU both have good aviation programs, but my blood runs orange and would recommend Stillwater. Stay away from programs like ATP as they are way overpriced. Good luck, the current industry setback is temporary and will recover. Aviation is always cyclical and there is a lot of luck to hit it on the upswing. Feel free to PM with any additional questions. I could not even think about doing anything else for a living.

DSUFLYBOY

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Former Airline, Corporate, Flight University pilot here. This will sting, but I recommend that he NOT get into the flying side of the Aviation House.

Tell him to go into the Maintenance side.

Maintenance A&P's make good money, are home 99% of the time, do NOT have to have the college/flight school/ratings/time requirements. AND do not have to maintain an FAA pilot physical to keep their job. One accident and ALL of his time, money, training, and Hope's/Dreams goes down the drain.

As an A&P he can make enough money to obtain his Private Pilot Certificate and buy into a partnership or out right own his own aircraft, then he can do his OWN maintenance on it to save tens thousands of dollars.

ALL the major airlines are looking/pushing to have aircraft have only one pilot, then on to total automation. It will happen at the Box Haulers first, then creep into main liners. "Airline Pilots" will then be employed to taxi out, and taxi in the aircraft. They rest will be done by "George." This IS the way of the future.

Look, I hate to tell you and your son all of this like a Debbie Downer. I got onto the Aviation goat rope in 2000, and the last 21 years has been a complete cluster f*ck of downturns, furloughs, bankruptcies, merger's, forced domicile and aircraft displacements, and so on. I cannot in good judgment advocate anyone becoming an Airline/Professional Pilot today.

BUT, no matter who is flying "The Tube," there will ALWAYS be a need for a grease monkey (human) to turn a wrench on them, and as they get more advanced, so will the pay will continue to go up. Looking back, the Maintenance route is what I should have done.

I hope this info helps y'all out. Good luck, the Aviation Bug is a harsh mistress.

"Watch your six, count your rounds, and keep your powder dry."

Aviator

Marksman
Reaction score
Dsudflyboy that is some very sound advice,
however there are options beside the airlines that he could pursue, and they don’t require an ATP. CFI’s are in high demand, I pay my CFI $75 an hour for my BFR, and several contract pilots I hire for demo flights charge a $250 minimum for approximately a one hour flight. One ferry pilot I have used in the past just quoted $47,000 to get a plane from Az to Australia for me(partially due to Covid restrictions) Med evac flights have always been a strong market, along with flying for clients that have their own planes.
There are quite a few avenues to make a living in aviation that don’t involve the expenses and time required to fly for the airlines. No doubt paying for the 250 hours needed for a commercial license and ifr rating are not cheap, but it will open some doors for you. In our location CFIs are in high demand and short supply, but as Dsuflyboy stated mechanics are in even higher demand and I normally pay $95-125 an hour for maintenance, and usually have to wait 3-4 weeks to get a plane worked into their schedule.
I have had several career airline pilots tell me recently they are anxiously counting down the days until they retire, that flying for the majors isn’t what it used to be, but even so there isn’t any other business I would rather be in.

Latest posts

Top Bottom