Random stuff you have made

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With the price of lumber lately, I can see how that might be a good option. I've got a few projects lined up that I've put off until lumber prices come down, which seem to be happening finally. I'll probably start on them once it cools down a bit. My shop isn't very well insulated and it's been like an oven in there lately.

Do you have a back door to the shop? If so, you could make a frame like I did out of 2” square steel tube with casters and a shelf on which I put a 220V window AC unit. When I want to use it, I open the back door and roll the frame into place, and it fits the opening quite closely. I put hardy board on the outside with a plywood interior, and I sandwiched some sheet foam insulation between the two layers. My shop is mostly uninsulated, though I did put a layer of insulation on the inside of the west-facing OH door. The AC does a good job keeping the shop cool up to the low 90s. Here’s a pic, and yes, that’s a doggy door for my four-legged friends who want to keep me company ;)

26596E92-CC1F-41EA-BF1E-09C544E19F64.jpeg

MadMonk67

Marksman
Reaction score
Do you have a back door to the shop? If so, you could make a frame like I did out of 2” square steel tube with casters and a shelf on which I put a 220V window AC unit. When I want to use it, I open the back door and roll the frame into place, and it fits the opening quite closely. I put hardy board on the outside with a plywood interior, and I sandwiched some sheet foam insulation between the two layers. My shop is mostly uninsulated, though I did put a layer of insulation on the inside of the west-facing OH door. The AC does a good job keeping the shop cool up to the low 90s. Here’s a pic, and yes, that’s a doggy door for my four-legged friends who want to keep me company ;)

View attachment 220988
That's a great idea. I do have a side door. I also have a window and I've thought about putting a window unit in it, but I wondered if it would be worth trying to keep it cool with the poor insulation.

I have a plan to clear out my shop and have it spray-foamed, then put up some plywood walls over it all so that I have more options for a french cleat storage system I'm wanting. I'm hoping to do this in the upcoming spring. Then, I'd consider putting in a mini split system.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's a great idea. I do have a side door. I also have a window and I've thought about putting a window unit in it, but I wondered if it would be worth trying to keep it cool with the poor insulation.

I have a plan to clear out my shop and have it spray-foamed, then put up some plywood walls over it all so that I have more options for a french cleat storage system I'm wanting. I'm hoping to do this in the upcoming spring. Then, I'd consider putting in a mini split system.

Thanks. I should have added that I have no windows in my shop, and didn’t care to cut one and possibly have leaks. I got a couple quotes when I moved in to have the interior corrugated metal walls removed, insulation blown into place, and stick and frame with plywood walls installed. When I saw the figures, I decided to build the door AC frame ;)

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love seeing all the DIY posts here. I can't compete with all the craftsmanship posted here, but here's a few things I've made as I've gotten in to some amateur woodworking.

Medal hanging rack for my son's HS cross-country medals. (red oak)
View attachment 220869View attachment 220870

I also made this platform bed for him out of red oak.
View attachment 220871
View attachment 220872

A rustic pine coffee table for my daughter.
View attachment 220873

A cornice board for my Mother-in-law's spare bedroom that she is remodeling. This was built to match one that she already had in her living room. Made from Poplar. I tried to match the ceiling beams as much as I could.
View attachment 220874
Saying you can not compete with the other craftmanship on here is silly!

I would say you done a wonderful job on your projects!

👍

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks. I should have added that I have no windows in my shop, and didn’t care to cut one and possibly have leaks. I got a couple quotes when I moved in to have the interior corrugated metal walls removed, insulation blown into place, and stick and frame with plywood walls installed. When I saw the figures, I decided to build the door AC frame ;)
How big is your shop? Mine is 30 X 40 and well insulated with three double pane windows and a side door.
I've decided to AC it and trying to decide how big of a window unit to put in. It gets miserable hot in there during the summer. I'm moving a zillion cubic feet of air in there with fans, but its not enough.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How big is your shop? Mine is 30 X 40 and well insulated with three double pane windows and a side door.
I've decided to AC it and trying to decide how big of a window unit to put in. It gets miserable hot in there during the summer. I'm moving a zillion cubic feet of air in there with fans, but its not enough.

My shop is the same size as yours. When I researched window AC units, I saw that 110V units were limited to about 18,000 BTU, and they would be taxed heavily trying to cool a shop like mine. I went with a 230V LG that was on sale during an end-of-season special and which is rated for 22,000 BTU, and it’s done a nice job. Even when it’s in the triple digits outside, the shop while warm is still tolerable. So an insulated shop like yours should be quite cool with such an AC unit.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My shop is the same size as yours. When I researched window AC units, I saw that 110V units were limited to about 18,000 BTU, and they would be taxed heavily trying to cool a shop like mine. I went with a 230V LG that was on sale during an end-of-season special and which is rated for 22,000 BTU, and it’s done a nice job. Even when it’s in the triple digits outside, the shop while warm is still tolerable. So an insulated shop like yours should be quite cool with such an AC unit.
Absolutely, the 230V unit will be much cheaper to run than any 110 unit. Thanks for the input. I'll be waiting for the fall clearance sales on some of the bigger units.

Latest posts

Top Bottom