Random stuff you have made

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
So tell me about spurs which I have never owned because I have never used horses that much. Are the yokes all the same size? are the shanks that hold the rowels straight, offset, bent? How do you determine what is needed? Do you make them and sell them or are these custom made. Most of the jigs I've seen you make are for a standard size, and shape, not custom.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most likely, real working cowboys don't necessarily have "special" spur designs. Since I have never ridden rodeo in any way, there might be differences for that kind of riding. Maybe some of the others can shed some light on the topic of spur designs?

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So tell me about spurs which I have never owned because I have never used horses that much. Are the yokes all the same size? are the shanks that hold the rowels straight, offset, bent? How do you determine what is needed? Do you make them and sell them or are these custom made. Most of the jigs I've seen you make are for a standard size, and shape, not custom.

Most likely, real working cowboys don't necessarily have "special" spur designs. Since I have never ridden rodeo in any way, there might be differences for that kind of riding. Maybe some of the others can shed some light on the topic of spur designs?
@Snattlerake theres endless possibilities. Yessir the heelband jig is very similar. Really a guy just needs a jig for men's, one for women's and one for kids. After that you can just squeeze or spread the band to get the perfect fit. I will be pretty much doing custom orders only once my ducks are in a row. There will be lots of silver work to learn and do also. Names, brands, initials etc. Rowel design and shank design also has numerous possibilities. Shanks can be bent or slanted in but most non rodeo fellas use a straight shank. @TerryMiller youd be surprised probably how much us working cowboys will spend on our gear. Spurs range from $350- thousands depending on how fancy a guy goes. Bits range from $125- thousands for same reasons. Most of these in the thousands are because of maker name. There's definitely a collector market. Then ya figure all the other custom gear like conchos, bridle buckles, belt buckles, horn knots, saddles and tack. Pretty much if it's in the cowboy world and made of metal there's cowboys wanting it to have it custom made. There may be no functional difference but it's neat to talk about who made your gear. This is how I got into building this stuff, I couldn't afford to buy it. Yeah, this all started with me freezing in the winter wishing I could afford a pair of chaps. I scraped up enough money to buy a hide and a new razor knife. I wore that pair of buckstitched leggins with conchos all down the legs for one winter. Then, a fella offered me $550 for em. SOLD, I said. I've built my way along into nicer tools and a well equipped leather shop that my wife took ahold of too. She was a stay at home mom so it just clicked. I'll try to find a picture of that first pair of leggins I built. The metal working just goes hand in hand with leatherwork. Like conchos, I will be able to put custom silver overlays on em if the client wants. I got a lil long winded but I enjoy talking about this stuff.

Cowcatcher

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm beginning to think you have too much talent at too many things! (is that even possible?)

^^^agree, I don't even want to watch any more...
I really appreciate that fellas! I don't know if I'd call it talent. It's more like I learned the hard way how to do things out of necessity. If you wanna do something, you can picture it in your mind, you can always find a flaw in your work and learn from your mistakes........well, just hammer down n do it. I've always been a manual labor guy. I expect I always will be. There's lots of money in manual labor.

Cowcatcher

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's the ones that started my leather bidness. I think ever since I built that set, there's always been another customer on the waiting list.
IMG_4050.JPG

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@Snattlerake theres endless possibilities. Yessir the heelband jig is very similar. Really a guy just needs a jig for men's, one for women's and one for kids. After that you can just squeeze or spread the band to get the perfect fit. I will be pretty much doing custom orders only once my ducks are in a row. There will be lots of silver work to learn and do also. Names, brands, initials etc. Rowel design and shank design also has numerous possibilities. Shanks can be bent or slanted in but most non rodeo fellas use a straight shank. @TerryMiller youd be surprised probably how much us working cowboys will spend on our gear. Spurs range from $350- thousands depending on how fancy a guy goes. Bits range from $125- thousands for same reasons. Most of these in the thousands are because of maker name. There's definitely a collector market. Then ya figure all the other custom gear like conchos, bridle buckles, belt buckles, horn knots, saddles and tack. Pretty much if it's in the cowboy world and made of metal there's cowboys wanting it to have it custom made. There may be no functional difference but it's neat to talk about who made your gear. This is how I got into building this stuff, I couldn't afford to buy it. Yeah, this all started with me freezing in the winter wishing I could afford a pair of chaps. I scraped up enough money to buy a hide and a new razor knife. I wore that pair of buckstitched leggins with conchos all down the legs for one winter. Then, a fella offered me $550 for em. SOLD, I said. I've built my way along into nicer tools and a well equipped leather shop that my wife took ahold of too. She was a stay at home mom so it just clicked. I'll try to find a picture of that first pair of leggins I built. The metal working just goes hand in hand with leatherwork. Like conchos, I will be able to put custom silver overlays on em if the client wants. I got a lil long winded but I enjoy talking about this stuff.

Well, I guess I must have not been a "working" cowboy. Must have spent too much time in a tractor to count as "working." No way I could have afforded those kinds of prices and no need to spend that much money. Also, not into "status" items, regardless of who made them.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really appreciate that fellas! I don't know if I'd call it talent. It's more like I learned the hard way how to do things out of necessity. If you wanna do something, you can picture it in your mind, you can always find a flaw in your work and learn from your mistakes........well, just hammer down n do it. I've always been a manual labor guy. I expect I always will be. There's lots of money in manual labor.

There ya have it in a nut shell, nesscessity is the mother of invention.. Chicken tractor I started today 4 inch pvc drain pipe, I'll have to pick it back up later in the week.. 24" tall chicken mesh wire on the sides and a sheet metal top.. I'll post updated pictures when completed.. The older 1 in the back will likely go obsolete as it's too heavy..
BTW, CW, nice looking bead ya got going on..:thumbup3:

Attachments

• IMG_20190316_190036.jpg
    IMG_20190316_190036.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_20190316_190016.jpg
    IMG_20190316_190016.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom