Random stuff you have made

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gypsy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Screenshot_20221208-110936_Gallery.jpg

I made this.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last night I finished up a box for my precision granite.View attachment 327032
I've go to do something like that. I bought one of those precision slabs off of Amazon about a year ago. They had different sizes and I thought they had screwed up on pricing because the bigger/heavier one was cheaper. So I bought it, but I've since wondered if the discount was because of how unhandy the big bastard is.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've go to do something like that. I bought one of those precision slabs off of Amazon about a year ago. They had different sizes and I thought they had screwed up on pricing because the bigger/heavier one was cheaper. So I bought it, but I've since wondered if the discount was because of how unhandy the big bastard is.
How big is yours? And no, that's not a question I usually ask another guy! I got one from Grizzly at the store in Springfield a few years ago that's 12x18, as that was the largest I could afford and carry away at the time... ;)

And yeah, I need to make a better box for mine, too. I'm just a wood butcher so may have to use some other material.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I worked at a manufacturing facility we had those granite slabs in every department for the QC folks to do measurements on the product. 6' long, 4' wide and 12" thick.
They brought in a crew to calibrate and certify them as we were an ISO9001 facility.
Two guys came in, threw some diamond dust on them and slid a bar across the surface for about 6-8 hours while taking measurements with a laser device every couple of hours. Then moving on to the next one. They were there for a week.
My wife was an accountant and had that bill ran across her desk.
I'm telling you, that is a job someone needs to get into. They got first class airfare to and from, accommodations in the best place in town, (which isn't much), rental car, meals paid for and $12 grand for that week. This was in the 90's.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How big is yours? And no, that's not a question I usually ask another guy! I got one from Grizzly at the store in Springfield a few years ago that's 12x18, as that was the largest I could afford and carry away at the time... ;)

And yeah, I need to make a better box for mine, too. I'm just a wood butcher so may have to use some other material.
Lol, yeah that's probably about the size of mine too. I don't think I'd want much smaller surface area when it's actually used, but it isn't much fun moving it around. Should have gotten the light weight granite I guess??

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I worked at a manufacturing facility we had those granite slabs in every department for the QC folks to do measurements on the product. 6' long, 4' wide and 12" thick.
They brought in a crew to calibrate and certify them as we were an ISO9001 facility.
Two guys came in, threw some diamond dust on them and slid a bar across the surface for about 6-8 hours while taking measurements with a laser device every couple of hours. Then moving on to the next one. They were there for a week.
My wife was an accountant and had that bill ran across her desk.
I'm telling you, that is a job someone needs to get into. They got first class airfare to and from, accommodations in the best place in town, (which isn't much), rental car, meals paid for and $12 grand for that week. This was in the 90's.
Guess you probably didn't use them as something solid to hammer on, lol??

I saw some of those table size slabs when I was googling for mine and they were priced like cars. Then I guess it's extra for flat, lol.

Most of what I do on it, I would have done previously on a piece of steel for my 'flat' surface, so pretty much anything was a step up.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lol, yeah that's probably about the size of mine too. I don't think I'd want much smaller surface area when it's actually used, but it isn't much fun moving it around. Should have gotten the light weight granite I guess??
Somewhere here I have a piece of marble slab, and it's light, but easily damaged. Not nearly as large, either. I originally got it for leatherwork, and still have it though I've not done much leatherworking in the past couple of decades. Problem is that it's way too small to do layout for metalworking. Not that I've used my surface plate yet. Until this past May I was using the larger plates at school when I needed one. Also have a 12x12 granite tile, about 3/8" thick. Used to have two of them, but had one slide off the shelf when I was moving the shelving unit and lost about a third of it... Advantage to the bigger plates is they're harder to move accidentally. Not that I expect they wouldn't also break if you dropped them far enough. I just don't care to test it just yet!

Latest posts

Top Bottom