Random stuff you have made

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I guess I must have not been a "working" cowboy. Must have spent too much time in a tractor to count as "working." No way I could have afforded those kinds of prices and no need to spend that much money. Also, not into "status" items, regardless of who made them.
I didn't mean to sound like I was saying you weren't a "working cowboy". I agree with you that for the most part, custom doesn't make it better. Dads told me back in the day there weren't as many bit types. Cowboys put a bit in the horses mouth and made him ride. Today there are several mouthpiece designs and I'd say all of em started as somebody's special bit they made to work on a certain horse. It's not uncommon for one guy to have 30 different bridles. I have 4 for different types of horses. I guess status is just one of those things. We could all wear one color of clothing and Ford could save money if all trucks were identical. Folks like to be different. We have several gun models too. It's pretty cool when a guy rides with a bit that was his dads that his dad had built by the same guy that built your dads spurs. It's stories and makers marks that prove it. Idk. There's a guy that builds pretty crude looking bits not far from here. He's been doing it a long time. Not too terrible long ago I believe he charged $40-$50 then I don't know what happened but he became a highly sought after maker and his bits started being sold second hand for $250-$500. He still builds bits today but you have to assure him your not buying it to resell. I think he still just charges $100. His bits look crudely made but horses work well in them. Lol. Just reminded me, if you ask him for silver on your bit, he just crudely dabs some silver solder on the shank.

Cowcatcher

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There ya have it in a nut shell, nesscessity is the mother of invention.. Chicken tractor I started today 4 inch pvc drain pipe, I'll have to pick it back up later in the week.. 24" tall chicken mesh wire on the sides and a sheet metal top.. I'll post updated pictures when completed.. The older 1 in the back will likely go obsolete as it's too heavy..
BTW, CW, nice looking bead ya got going on..:thumbup3:
Very interested! My girls been wanting to build one. You go first so I can steal your design!

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very interested! My girls been wanting to build one. You go first so I can steal your design!
There's one in the prepper section under more chickens that I'll build another of with slight mods, I'll lower the nest box and put the roost bar higher so maybe they won't sleep and chit in the nest box.. That's a walk in, the 1 above will be a shade over 2 ft tall and will house the 40 Cornish x rock meat chickens we have coming.. I'd have gotten farther along but the $8.97 pack of glue and cleaner ran out of glue.. The dang cleaning ball in the cleaner has shrunk so bad it was tough to work with, they use to be good size, cost cutting I guess..

Last edited:

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't mean to sound like I was saying you weren't a "working cowboy". I agree with you that for the most part, custom doesn't make it better. Dads told me back in the day there weren't as many bit types. Cowboys put a bit in the horses mouth and made him ride. Today there are several mouthpiece designs and I'd say all of em started as somebody's special bit they made to work on a certain horse. It's not uncommon for one guy to have 30 different bridles. I have 4 for different types of horses. I guess status is just one of those things. We could all wear one color of clothing and Ford could save money if all trucks were identical. Folks like to be different. We have several gun models too. It's pretty cool when a guy rides with a bit that was his dads that his dad had built by the same guy that built your dads spurs. It's stories and makers marks that prove it. Idk. There's a guy that builds pretty crude looking bits not far from here. He's been doing it a long time. Not too terrible long ago I believe he charged $40-$50 then I don't know what happened but he became a highly sought after maker and his bits started being sold second hand for $250-$500. He still builds bits today but you have to assure him your not buying it to resell. I think he still just charges $100. His bits look crudely made but horses work well in them. Lol. Just reminded me, if you ask him for silver on your bit, he just crudely dabs some silver solder on the shank.

No offense here, Cowcatcher. Just different schools of thought.

Examples: Father-in-Law always felt that his time wasn't worth anything and that he would take off from what he was doing to go help one of us "hands" with a job, even though he knew we were capable enough to do it. I finally convinced him otherwise when he quit baling hay to come work on a plow with me and the hired hand just stood around. I asked him just how important did he think the baling was right now. He looked at me, handed me the wrench, and went back to baling.

He also told me of an old "Dutch" couple on their farm. If the man had to go get a tool from the barn, he ran every step of the way there and back. Same with any job; do the job carefully, but run for needed supplies or what-not. His wife worked in the same way. Hang clothes carefully, but run to and from the clothesline with the clean clothes.

Cowcatcher

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No offense here, Cowcatcher. Just different schools of thought.

Examples: Father-in-Law always felt that his time wasn't worth anything and that he would take off from what he was doing to go help one of us "hands" with a job, even though he knew we were capable enough to do it. I finally convinced him otherwise when he quit baling hay to come work on a plow with me and the hired hand just stood around. I asked him just how important did he think the baling was right now. He looked at me, handed me the wrench, and went back to baling.

He also told me of an old "Dutch" couple on their farm. If the man had to go get a tool from the barn, he ran every step of the way there and back. Same with any job; do the job carefully, but run for needed supplies or what-not. His wife worked in the same way. Hang clothes carefully, but run to and from the clothesline with the clean clothes.
I agree. Dad convinced my brother and I at an early age that if we were sent to fetch, we better come back with fetched item and out of breath. I'm the same with my girls. I helped a neighbor yesterday who's son had us all waiting for 5 mins to do a 1min go fetch chore. I woulda jerked a knot in one of my girls tail right there in front of the neighbors.

Dad pretty much worked by the job and not the hour. So do I. The faster we get er done, the earlier we can rest or move on to the next paying job.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve posted some of the stuff I’ve made before, but this is about my favorite. The fire chief asked if I could build him something to protect the front of their new grass rig. This is what I can up with.

This thing stood up to a 45 mph collision on an icy bridge. The frame got tweaked slightly, but the bumper was reused.

I hid a 12,000 lbs Ramsey winch begins this bumper. Sticking a winch out front would have hampered the rigs approach angle.
B94483EE-E6D7-4831-9D50-226333EEFF2D.jpeg
Hey
I built a bumper for a k5 that survived a rollover at Moab. He was able to drive it back to the trailer because the stinger saved his radiator.

Latest posts

Top Bottom