Random stuff you have made

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hate working with sheet metal. Kept forgetting to put gloves on when cutting and handling the material and my hands show it.

This is a log splitter I built back in the day. It’s a beast, nothing can stop it. 18 hp Koehler engine with electric start, 6” cylinder with a 2” ram.
8cc08f70cf5d0c661aeb84e9c6cb6485.jpg
Wow! Log picker upper and the whole deal!

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Auto hoods are the way to go. Especially if you are tacking around or running several beads. Now if I put a normal hood on, I stand there waiting for it to lighten up after I get done welding.
Ha! I burned a lotta rods (stick-welder) when I was younger, long before auto-hoods.

I've picked up the electrode before, and automatically nodded my head before realizing I didn't have a hood on...

Makes ya look around to see if anyone's watching. :D

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The cherry picker for the splitter only has a chain hook on the nose. To pick up logs, I found an old set of railroad skidding tongs that were used back in the day by men to pull out RR ties after the spikes were removed. Modified it with some eyes welded on and a length of chain. By adding chain, it can drag logs to the splitter for as far as one has chain and the stroke of the picker. Move a big log about 4’ at a time and it just takes seconds to drop the picker arm, take up the slack and repeat.

3d3a7f3cb413a7dca0cd588759b78008.jpg

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Started this a couple days ago. It's my first one. Been working on it between other projects. The steel is O1 tool steel. Blade 3-1/4" long and overall 7-1/4" long. The handle is kirinite (we can call it plastic if ya like). The handle pins are the permanent ones, they are just what I'm using to rough the handle scales in. I really debated on posting it or not cuz it doesn't look like much yet but it is a work in progress and we gotta keep this thread hoppin!
IMG_4488.JPG
IMG_4492.JPG
IMG_4520.JPG
IMG_4526.JPG
IMG_4529.JPG
IMG_4530.JPG
IMG_4531.JPG

Latest posts

Top Bottom