1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

Random stuff you have made

Discussion in 'Photo Album' started by gfercaks33, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Timmy59

Timmy59 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Bout as slick as owl chit, and here I thought you was just a cowboy..:hey3::hey3:Well done brother..

Oklahomabassin, DRC458 and Cowcatcher like this.
  2. Neckbeard

Neckbeard Ammo For Sale

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Come on you know he is just making the knife, so he can make the fancy sheath that we all wish we had.

3. Cowcatcher

Cowcatcher Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I drew the pattern I wanted on graph paper, super glued the paper pattern to a piece of galvanized flashing and cut it out. Then I have a nice tin pattern for future uses. I paint some blue dyekem on my steel, lay the pattern down and scribe around it.

4. Cowcatcher

Cowcatcher Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Wife has made a few lately.
    IMG_4500.JPG

Oklahomabassin, O4L, DRC458 and 4 others like this.
  5. Catt57

Catt57 Gill-Gun Guru

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Made this deck for Mom's trailer. (She stays in it when she visits.)
    It's completely free floating and can be moved away from the trailer when needed.

received_443710739716098.jpeg received_2262841877126041.jpeg

6. MacFromOK

MacFromOK Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Hehe, reminds me of a project the boss gave me when I worked for an oil field service company (I was the mechanic/welder). :D

He'd won a bid on laying several miles of 8-10" pipeline (don't remember exactly), and bought a side-boom for his Case 450 dozer w/6-way blade, along with a heavy counter-weight. Installation for that was included in order to have a warranty.

But he wanted me to build a set of tongs to pick up the pipe so they wouldn't waste any time lifting/lowering the 20' sections. I asked how much each pipe weighed, and he said probably no more than 2000 lbs.

So... I build a gorilla set of tongs. Started with heavy pipe just larger than the pipe they were laying, split it, made gorilla hinges for it, and cut wrap-arounds of 3/8" plate on each side (edgewise), and then added 3/8" strips along the edges, so it looked like the wrap-arounds were made of really heavy angle-iron conformed to the heavy pipe (also made the "handles" a bit longer than usual for more leverage gripping the pipe). Added heavy chain to the top of the tongs, with a loop on top made of sucker rod for the lifting chain/cable.

And... finally the job started.

After the first day, the boss brought the tongs back to the shop and asked if I could put some type of liner inside to make the I.D. smaller and provide a cushion.

I asked why...

Apparently the pipe had changed specs somewhere along the line. The result turned out to be a smaller diameter fiberglass pipe, and he was worried about the tongs marring it as the guys connected/remove them... :D

So I riveted truck brake linings inside the tongs. After a few days, some of the crew asked me why I'd made the tongs so heavy for fiberglass pipe.

Got a lotta laughs out of that project.
    :drunk2:

7. DRC458

DRC458 Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Let us know when you start taking orders!

Cowcatcher likes this.
  8. Snattlerake

Snattlerake Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    That is some really good creative thinking! I really like the brake shoe liner pad idea. How long did it take for you to brainstorm that one or was it a one time shot? what was your thought process? I'll bet it worked like a charm too.

MacFromOK likes this.
  9. MacFromOK

MacFromOK Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Thanks. :)

I'd relined truck brakes on my first job out of high school (job description was "tire man," but everyone helped on everything - lol, except tires), so it was one of the first things that came to mind.

It was the late '70s or '80-ish, and options were kinda limited to what was available in local parts stores. But yeah, it worked great. :D

10. Cowcatcher

Cowcatcher Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    IMG_4615.JPG IMG_4620.JPG IMG_4621.JPG IMG_4624.JPG Well, I got two more holsters built for @chazroh and I worked on my knife some today.