Random stuff you have made

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is there a wire floor in it?
Long story short, I came by 16 turkey eggs and had them incubated. Built a semi flight pen for them. After a couple of days something burrowed under the pen and killed all of them. Suspect a fox, as I don't think bobcat digs much.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is there a wire floor in it?
Long story short, I came by 16 turkey eggs and had them incubated. Built a semi flight pen for them. After a couple of days something burrowed under the pen and killed all of them. Suspect a fox, as I don't think bobcat digs much.
No floor. We’ve gotten along well with several other coops without floors. We’ve got a couple dogs that run loose at night and keep the varmints run off.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I had this Dyson upright vacuum that was about 10 years old. It worked great for a long time, but age and abuse caught up with it - random plastic parts cracking and snapping, until finally I got a new Dyson. The motor on the old one still worked just fine, and it still sucked like nobody’s business, so I decided to repurpose it as a shop dust collector. Very simple job of removing unneeded parts like the wand and extension, the ball wheel covers, and the handle, and I attached a flexible hose to the intake (where the vortex canister sits). I would have liked to use the canister, but its capacity was too small for DC, so I ran the hose to a Dustopper that I already had, to see if it would work. See pic - and yes, that’s my faithful old Lab enjoying my company and a cool floor :)

Then I built a little cradle out of scrap 2x4 on which to sit the vacuum to keep it stable and off the ground, and I tucked the vacuum underneath the miter saw station with the truncated handle sticking out the side enough that I could reach the power button. The other hose went to the bottom of the DC cabinet in which the miter saw sits, and I turned it on and tried cutting a piece of 2x4. The vacuum cleaner did a decent job of pulling fine dust into the cabinet, so I’m satisfied. Not a bad way to spend the morning!

4A60DE1A-F959-4D27-B357-8C589A013EC6.jpeg

Rustygun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Totally random stuff listed in the “has no use or purpose” category.

Made wooden dice from walnut/cherry cutting board scraps. They are 1” square. Had to make a little jig to locate the holes, the only ones that were not perfect was the center ones on the six. There was sawdust build up in the jig that caused the error. Put two coats of my home made shellac on the finished product.

A wise man once said “Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time”

B4EC0A07-8277-4AB1-AFB0-72379D2896DD.jpeg

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I had this Dyson upright vacuum that was about 10 years old. It worked great for a long time, but age and abuse caught up with it - random plastic parts cracking and snapping, until finally I got a new Dyson. The motor on the old one still worked just fine, and it still sucked like nobody’s business, so I decided to repurpose it as a shop dust collector. Very simple job of removing unneeded parts like the wand and extension, the ball wheel covers, and the handle, and I attached a flexible hose to the intake (where the vortex canister sits). I would have liked to use the canister, but its capacity was too small for DC, so I ran the hose to a Dustopper that I already had, to see if it would work. See pic - and yes, that’s my faithful old Lab enjoying my company and a cool floor :)

Then I built a little cradle out of scrap 2x4 on which to sit the vacuum to keep it stable and off the ground, and I tucked the vacuum underneath the miter saw station with the truncated handle sticking out the side enough that I could reach the power button. The other hose went to the bottom of the DC cabinet in which the miter saw sits, and I turned it on and tried cutting a piece of 2x4. The vacuum cleaner did a decent job of pulling fine dust into the cabinet, so I’m satisfied. Not a bad way to spend the morning!

View attachment 164722

But, did your supervising partner approve of your work?!?!?!?!

Rustygun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Built a table for staging gear and loading magazines that I will donate to the shooting range. I had problems finding straight dry lumber. Everything at the big box stores was soaking wet twisted, bowed, or cupped .

At first I was concerned about quality and getting every thing square and level but based on the holes in the other structures at the range, this table will have 9mm holes and powder burns in a few weeks. I should have gone to the extra expense and had them mix an exterior paint that was powder burn grey.

D7D13DA6-E031-437B-9C0A-81ED353724AC.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom