Random stuff you have made

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
FWIW, my Dad had a really old pair of spurs with double buttons for the leathers. Only pair I ever wore that never gave any trouble riding up/down.

We lived fairly close to the TQHA rodeo arena North of Denison, and I rode in the grand entry from 8 yrs until I got married. One guy tried his best to buy those spurs from me.

Dad woulda killed me. :D

I know what you're saying. You still have em? Do you remember who made em?

Or, do you at least have pics?!?!?!?!

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know what you're saying. You still have em? Do you remember who made em?
My sister has 'em. She was a "Daddy's girl" all her life, and I already had another pair of single buttons that were his. Never saw him wear any but the double button ones though. We always used straps that went in front of the boot heel on both kinds.

I have no idea what (or if?) there was a brand on 'em. They weren't fancy or plated or anything, just a rugged pair of work spurs with 5-star rowels.

I was thinking you might consider the double button design, the difference is amazing. The buttons are probably 1 1/4" apart or so.
:drunk2:

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've seen what you're talking about. Most bronc/bull riding spurs are built like that to be tied down. I've seen it on normal riding spurs to. If the heel band is shaped just right and the spur has good balance, they will sit properly.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does this count? Grinder stand for my Baldor made from an old well pump...
The base is a pulley from an implement.

View attachment 131679

Very ingenious. I like it!
Not as thought provoking, but built a stand for my Feaster farrier anvil from a pipe flange and length of pipe.
I know most mount anvils on wood to eliminate the “ring”, but I like that sound.

f97433663b89e9c0720a71497a86b795.jpg

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've seen what you're talking about. Most bronc/bull riding spurs are built like that to be tied down. I've seen it on normal riding spurs to. If the heel band is shaped just right and the spur has good balance, they will sit properly.
You can make the heel band fit a certain size and style of boot well, but it won't fit well on all others.

One of my brothers rode bulls for a while, and he made a pair of spurs specifically for that. Double buttons, shanks pointed slightly inward, and they had holes where you could pin the rowels to keep them from spinning. He also split the 5-start rowel ends with a hacksaw, so they would grab more hide.

The angrier the bull, the better the ride score. Assuming ya stay onboard...
:drunk2:

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very ingenious. I like it!
Not as thought provoking, but built a stand for my Feaster farrier anvil from a pipe flange and length of pipe.
I know most mount anvils on wood to eliminate the “ring”, but I like that sound.

f97433663b89e9c0720a71497a86b795.jpg

I dig it. I made a grinder stand for a buddy from a valve standoff from a ship before I made mine. I like reusing industrial stuff like that.

My anvil stand is collapsible and has a spring clamp on one end, kinda slick...but it wasnt made by me.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I dig it. I made a grinder stand for a buddy from a valve standoff from a ship before I made mine. I like reusing industrial stuff like that.

My anvil stand is collapsible and has a spring clamp on one end, kinda slick...but it wasnt made by me.
Back when I was shoeing, I kept saying I was gonna buy or build one of those stands bu I never did.

Latest posts

Top Bottom