Random stuff you have made

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not the best picture ever and there isn't a finish on it yet, but I made my first cutting board this week. Going to give it to my friend and his wife as a housewarming gift. Made with Brazilian rosewood and maple.

View attachment 147084
Nice! What finish are you using? I use pure tung oil. And @Cowcatcher you are spot on with the patience. Pure tung oil takes about a month to fully harden.

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice! What finish are you using? I use pure tung oil. And @Cowcatcher you are spot on with the patience. Pure tung oil takes about a month to fully harden.
I'm still trying to figure the finish out. I'm trying to figure out what finish would be the lowest maintenance. I know my friend will take good care of it, but I want to minimize the maintenance for him so it'll be able to last as long as possible.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been slacking. My normal. Lol
570066b55b610d64502416c5e16e1233.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I'm not even close to good in woodworking, it is good to see that others here have similar needs to me...

...with reference to the magnifying glass.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure the finish out. I'm trying to figure out what finish would be the lowest maintenance. I know my friend will take good care of it, but I want to minimize the maintenance for him so it'll be able to last as long as possible.
I use tung from Real Milk Paint Co.
Reason being is that years ago I bought one of those unfinished boards at Wal Mart. I sanded it and went to town with the tung oil. I've lightly sanded and reapplied a coat once in all that time and it still looks good and beads water. It gets used just about daily. Unlike boiled linseed oil, tung oil actually does protect the wood and doesn't darken over time. And BLO has metallic chemical dryers in it so it's a no-go for food contact anyway.

It's all the rage today to use food grade mineral oil on cutting boards. I guess I'm weird, because I don't think a totally non-hardening oil on a cutting board is a good idea. General Finishes has a cutting board finish and it dries much faster. I may try it sometime as their stuff is really good.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great job there. For future reference, cutting boards that last generations of daily usage are made with the end grain up. This keeps the wood from splintering with the grain.

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use tung from Real Milk Paint Co.
Reason being is that years ago I bought one of those unfinished boards at Wal Mart. I sanded it and went to town with the tung oil. I've lightly sanded and reapplied a coat once in all that time and it still looks good and beads water. It gets used just about daily. Unlike boiled linseed oil, tung oil actually does protect the wood and doesn't darken over time. And BLO has metallic chemical dryers in it so it's a no-go for food contact anyway.

It's all the rage today to use food grade mineral oil on cutting boards. I guess I'm weird, because I don't think a totally non-hardening oil on a cutting board is a good idea. General Finishes has a cutting board finish and it dries much faster. I may try it sometime as their stuff is really good.

I think I've pretty much decided that I'm going the Tung oil direction as well. From what I've seen online, the results mimic what you have stated.

Great job there. For future reference, cutting boards that last generations of daily usage are made with the end grain up. This keeps the wood from splintering with the grain.

I wanted to do an endgrain board, but unfortunately I didn't have enough wood (that's what she said) to be able to do one. The next one will be endgrain, partially because I'll be doing that one for me. :-)

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We anticipate getting a couple cows here in the near future so I put the greenhouse on hold and put together a feeder today less the foot pads.. I'd like to put a hay rack above it but I'll wait until I see how it pans out as is.. I'd hate to put one on only to have to whack it off because of the horns on the cows.. Built with materials on hand so it's nothing fancy but if it holds up me and the cows will be happy since it cost very little..
20191123_172323.jpg
20191123_172310.jpg
20191123_172301.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom