Random stuff you have made

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murphranch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is a picture of my 2nd attempt (I don't learn very easy) at constructing a dam...It lasted almost 2 months...another monsoon took it out....I used more rocks and filler the 2nd time.......I even added a rock spillway along with the tinhorn.....it wasn't meant to be....

View attachment 203372

You might have to go with 2 of the tinhorns and cement around them . We had a guy do some pond work for us and he used corrugated pipe for drainpipes. Washed them all out after water started going down the side door of them. Your problem seems to be too much water not enough relief from the 4’ footer. If you figure out how to control Mother Nature and her ways of destruction let me. She can be a ***** sometimes

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is a picture of my 2nd attempt (I don't learn very easy) at constructing a dam...It lasted almost 2 months...another monsoon took it out....I used more rocks and filler the 2nd time.......I even added a rock spillway along with the tinhorn.....it wasn't meant to be....

View attachment 203372
Third time is a charm! Constructed a dam 3 times, third time it stayed. First time did the same as you and it washed away. 2nd time longer tin horn, widened dam and a rock spillway it washed out again. 3rd time installed 3 tin horns 18 inch diameter each offset in height 9 inches or half a tin horn. Stair stepping help alleviate the water, when first is greater than half capacity it begins to flow thru the second. When the second is greater than half it begins to flow thru third tin horn. It has been 9 yrs and no issues since other than a little maintenance due to erosion.

Hodrod

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You might have to go with 2 of the tinhorns and cement around them . We had a guy do some pond work for us and he used corrugated pipe for drainpipes. Washed them all out after water started going down the side door of them. Your problem seems to be too much water not enough relief from the 4’ footer. If you figure out how to control Mother Nature and her ways of destruction let me. She can be a ***** sometimes

On my 2nd attempt I used a rock spillway along with the tinhorn...I like your suggestions but I've decided that the 6 ponds that I have at my ranch are going to have to do for now.....I've also decided that I'm no dam builder..........

freewookie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 203358

One of the birdhouses recently built.

View attachment 203359

Fire Pit in progress. Decided to go with two more rows of bricks and then around the outside with flagstone.
The darker brick are pavers from the streets of Guthrie. Well over 100 years old. Made in Coffeyville, KS.

View attachment 203360

View attachment 203361

Fire Pit, my old 1976 Ford Courier and shooting shack in background.

How’d you get the Guthrie bricks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I made a mount that fits my floor jack for pulling the transmission out of my Fiat 500 Sport.
trans jack.JPG

Cowbaby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I made a mount that fits my floor jack for pulling the transmission out of my Fiat 500 Sport.View attachment 205394

Excellent job. I have been there too trying to balance a 400lb transmission on my chest trying to get a lousy bolt started because I didn't have a transmission jack handy.

264killer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

View attachment 203372
I would have put it in the bottom of the creek with a run around. Around here used packed clay for the dam. Dont know what type of soil you are dealing with.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I made a mount that fits my floor jack for pulling the transmission out of my Fiat 500 Sport.View attachment 205394

Excellent job. I have been there too trying to balance a 400lb transmission on my chest trying to get a lousy bolt started because I didn't have a transmission jack handy.

Good job @Profreedomokie - I durn near lost some fingers (literally) years ago helping my FIL put a tranny back in a Fiat without a proper jack and adapter.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Your absolutely correct in putting tin horns in pond dams.
If one does that, welding some steel wings to the diameter of the pipe about mid way through the dam will prevent the seepage that will travel down the side of the pipe.

Latest posts

Top Bottom